Teacher charged with child abuse after "dragging" boy who sat for pledge

I’m having trouble figuring out what you mean by “a so-called parent”. It occurs to me that you might be saying that anybody can beat a child as long as they claim to be his parent (and perhaps even that this could work as a defense for the teacher we’re talking about). But I doubt that (and, in any case, it’s wrong).

My best guess is that you’re thinking that “parent” is a term of high praise, and that some people who have children don’t deserve the title. That’s wrong too; everybody who has a child is a parent, even if the ones who are terrible at it.

1 Like

Of course.

Doxxing isn’t ‘okay,’ and I don’t advocate it; but when it happens to people like that I cant bring myself to feel any sympathy, except maybe for those who also suffer just because of their close proximity…

3 Likes

True.
At least it creates a fuss on local news if it happens to their own.

Brown foreign kids are not so lucky:

1 Like

Local, national, international news - these days, it’s all the same from a global media organisation’s point of view. The only thing that changes is which part of your website you put the story on.

This is in the BBC’s US & Canada page. Seems reasonable.

As for why it’s news - well, the whole standing at attention to swear allegiance to your country thing looks really strange and dodgy to European eyes in the first place. We kind of had enough of that in the 30s, thank you very much.

When you then add allegations that teachers (i.e. people with authority over children given to them by the state) are forcing children to take part in this The Wave cos-play element of US life or disciplining them for not doing so, it brings the fact that you do this stuff back to our attention and also kicks that worry about people in the US into higher gear.

It’s a mix of “Look, what those wacky folks in $far_away_country are up to” and “Look out, crazy fascists on the rampage”.

9 Likes

Looks a bit like the odal rune.

I find her choice of earrings alarming

I don’t.

Hippie fascism is not a rare thing.

3 Likes

This is not assault. While what this teacher did was reprehensible and she should be docked a weeks pay this should not be a criminal matter. It is clearly not child abuse.

It’s not “ha ha” funny, just because the damage is too significant and their influence too great; but I can never ignore the curious irony of ‘Christians’ acting in ways that make it pretty blatantly obvious that they would have been willing, probably eager, to demand compliance with the state cult of the divine emperor in a certain restive Roman province a couple millennia back.

I can’t tell if the power offered by union with the state tempts them by degrees away from their theoretical ideals or whether their real desire is to have a state cult, a supernatural nationalism to submerge themselves in, and it’s just a matter of historical accident that the state cult in their time and place happens to be adorned with Christian elements rather than those of some other religion.

3 Likes

No. It is criminal and it is child abuse. Any time someone grabs another person without permission is assault. Since the other is under 18 years old, he / she is still considered a child. You are wrong.

4 Likes

No, its absolutely not. This over criminalization of basic civil behavior is destroying the social bonds that holds us together. You can take care of yourself and so can I.

Now we know why Broncos’ Von Miller and Demaryius Thomas started to stand up last year, they had this nut job threatening them.

Grabbing someone by the collar and dragging them out of class is “basic civil behavior” ? Kids learn what they experience and this kid just learned its OK to grab someone and toss them around if you don’t like what they did.

9 Likes

I’ve been on the wrong end (albeit not in an educational setting) of overzealous patriotism by “christians” think of a flag wrapped around a crucifix and your nearly there.
I’m sticking with the Jesus fish earings Because in the end it doesn’t matter. This woman is a deplorable human being who may also have the further detail of being an overzealous Christian prig.
Best outcome here is she looses her job is barred from working with children in any way And the family sues her into penury.

3 Likes

Exactly. In basic public education, the goal is to produce compliant worker bees of the future. Religious indoctrination is usually running quietly in the background. It is only the occasional very special teacher that encourages critical thinking, while the rest of them value rote learning of programmed answers and are mini-authoritarians.

If you’re going to nitpick legal technicalities:

In this case assault would appear to be exactly correct:

Colorado Criminal Code:

Para 18-03-204:

(1) A person commits the crime of assault in the third degree if:
(a) The person knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another person or with criminal negligence the person causes bodily injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon

Bodily injury is defined in para 18-1-901 (3) as:

physical pain, illness, or any impairment of physical or mental condition.

I’d link to the online source but it’s published by Lexis Nexis who (in keeping with their role as gatekeepers for the 9th Circle) give their webpages url’s that run to several paragraphs and I’m not going to shorten them for obvious reasons.

A brief google will bring them up easily enough.

Seems fairly obvious that there’s at least a significant degree of likelihood that the child in question will have suffered some degree of physical pain and that the teacher either knew that would be the case or was reckless as to whether it would.

You can say that you think that teachers should have the right to cause children physical pain but the great state of Colorado doesn’t seem to have made an exemption for them so…

Admittedly, it’s all a bit confused by the fact that lots of places on the web tell you that corporal punishment is legal in schools in Colorado but all I can find is that it is not specifically prohibited unless the child is disabled.

That of course does not mean that it is not in law an assault.

A child of course cannot.

Even assuming this child could, there is no version of this story that has the child physically resisting the teacher and preventing themselves from being dragged out that ends well for the child.

8 Likes

If assaulting children for choosing to express themselves in a non-abusive, legally protected manner is part of your social bonds then count me out. It’s no wonder why there is a fascism problem now with attitudes like yours which enable them.

12 Likes

I’ve been punched in the face by a black guy for being white at the wrong place at the wrong time. Doesn’t mean I am going to do mental gymnastics to equate other people, even those who have done wrong, as being the same.

Like I said, not condoning this lady in the least, but piling on the hate and emotions is exactly how people like that get their warped view of patriotism and what it should look like.

Interestingly, it was Christians who brought the successful Supreme Court case in 1943 to make it clear that children could not be required to recite the Pledge. Jehovah’s Witnesses, specifically. The grounds was religious freedom.

3 Likes