Teacher charged with child abuse after "dragging" boy who sat for pledge

If I’m not mistaken, there have been salacious controversies about the pledge of allegiance in schools for several decades now. I freely confess to being too apathetic to track down suitable corroborating references in this instance.

ETA: Well, maybe just one.

9 Likes

Is that a man in there?

Controversies over the Pledge of Allegiance in schools is nothing new, and has even been argued before the Supreme Court of the United States. Whichever side of the debate one falls on, I suspect the majority of Americans consider it an important matter. In my own view, it goes against everything this nation was founded on, and reflects the creep of an unamerican ethos in public education that we always need to guard against, now especially.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/the-latest-controversy-about-under-god-in-the-pledge-of-allegiance

ETA: I hadn’t heard about the student pledging the UFP. That’s kind of awesome. :sunglasses:

10 Likes

High-grade childhood nightmare fuel right there.

5 Likes

These are the same people who think it respectful to ‘take a knee’ when the coach talks. But go apoplectic when some sportsball folks don’t want to stand for the Star Spangled (have you even READ the third stanza? jezuz!) Banner? At least it gets these nitwits talking about it rather than perpetrating injustice (except this ‘lady’)

2 Likes

Stand your ground technically applies to minors too, and worst case even if they charge you it’ll be off your record when your 18. Kid should have hit her with a fucking chair.

BASH THE FASH!

Related situation. Another teacher screamed at a kid who wouldn’t stand for the pledge to “go back to his country”.

The school apparently also has a history of not really addressing problematic incidents involving racism:

Last week a mother of a Clovis East student told the school board that her son was called the N-word by another athlete, who she said was not properly punished. Last year, a leaked Snapchat conversation showed Clovis High students using racial slurs and referring to black people as their slaves.

Edit: while looking up for articles on this i was curious and checked to see what Fox news had to say on it and this is… something. It’s literally a 130 word “report”, though it does include a gem about the teacher being a jokester that likes inappropriate comments and cracked a Hitler/jews in the oven joke toward a student that was complaining about him so take that as you will.

They open with that it was a joke. The other article says that the teacher was screaming from his desk and caused another student to cry and told them to shut up. From the first article i posted:

Freshman Thailia Luna said that agriculture science teacher Ken Dias took her phone after she refused to stand during the pledge on Wednesday. “He repeatedly told me I was a disgrace and continuously yelled at me across the classroom from his desk,” Luna, 14, wrote in the report obtained by The Bee. “A student began to cry and asked him to stop and he told her to shut up.”

vs

A middle school teacher in Ohio who says he jokingly told a student to go back to your country has been suspended.

Fuck you Fox.

11 Likes

And her precious little Jesus fish earrings

4 Likes

Most people haven’t and to be honest I never realized there were more stanzas until take a knee started

Are the earrings the ichthys or are they the ubiquitous ribbons in earring form? I can’t tell.

Btw, this middle school covers kids grades 6-8, so this boy was 12-14. Definitely the start of the finding-your-voice ages, and when kids simultaneously start articulating the mismatch between the walk and the talk in US culture. But middle school, you’d think teachers would be prepped for this stuff. Those magic words again, “you’d think.”

4 Likes

Thinking is exactly what teachers like this do not want student to do. She caught a kid thinking for himself and made an example out of him. I wonder how many kids she’s damaged over her years of “educating” students.

7 Likes

The fascist teachers are emerging from the shadows…

16 Likes

It’s “find your voice time” truly but in the wrong school district and if you’re the wrong skin color it’s also " you are now officially a threat" time…

3 Likes

Off topic but my Mrs does a really disturbing umbridge impression.

4 Likes

Geezzz, I hadn’t even noticed those. YUCKY!

1 Like

My original comment was regarding physical assault of children by their parents which would be overcome by state intervention, since no foster home is permitted to use physical punishment. That’s not to say they aren’t major issues in the foster care system both at a system level and at the level of individual homes.

For-profit group homes are a world apart from true in-home therapeutic foster care. We need more small (1-2 bed) foster homes trained to a high level of care so youths can stay in homes and get the higher level of care they need while remaining in community school. Here is Oregon’s Behavioral Rehabilitation Services program which I am a part of.

7 Likes

o_0 looks more like a cancer ribbon to me.

True, but worse outcomes are guaranteed by no intervention at all.

4 Likes

Not pink so I’m going with Jesus fish.
Anyway it makes me dislike her even more so that’s a bonus

1 Like

They don’t have to be pink, and they come in gold and silver. The fish has a “point” where the mouth is instead of being round like ribbon and it is typically symmetrical.

Altering your perception of reality so you can dislike someone more is… weird. It leads to things like making people stand up for a pledge.

2 Likes