Teacher forced into retirement for showing archival queer-scare movie

They were worried he was undoing all the hard work the SpongeBob 400 had done to foster tolerance and acceptance in Kansas City…

1 Like

I recently had a discussion with someone who defended “religious protection” laws that are intended to allow business owners to deny service to LGBT people. He said comparing such laws to Jim Crow was “offensive” because “black people suffered under slavery, and gays are only being denied a cake.”

He backed down pretty quickly when I said LGBT people have historically suffered much worse discrimination than simply being turned away by a business, but I think his attitude shows how little the history that this film reveals is taught.

4 Likes

I wish more venues using this story for clickbait (not accusing BB of that, btw) would get serious and talk about the overall impact of this sort of pressure on education as a whole. Atheist kids, LGTBQ kids, all get alienated/isolated by this sort of mendacious persecution. Even if this firing was provoked by oversensitive LGBTQ students, which I really doubt, the message is still pretty clear: “keep your ass in the closet and your mouth shut, you’re not one of us.”

1 Like

So, I’m on a lot of cold medicine right now. But I’m still not clear on whether this was some homophobic prank or if he was genuinely trying to show a positive change in attitudes and acceptance.

Oh wait, just noticed. Missouri.

in his defense, he did say he wanted to show it as an example of changing attitudes.

When i was in 5th grade, my history teacher played a clip of an old instructional audio tape about Virginia Dare (the first child born in the New World to English Parents). It included a very hokey description of little Virginia Dare playing with Indians - a racist to the point of campy depiction of Native Americans and she was shown as a lily white angel in comparison. The voiceover artist was gratingly insipid in her reading. I never forgot it; it was a great lesson in how Native American history has been taught in the past and how dramatically differently that subject is approached in recent years.

I am not sure exactly how educational this teacher was meaning to be - it sounds like a really lame class to begin with - but I think for people who had no idea how much times have changed, it might have made a big impact.

1 Like

Sooo… did they not know the distinction between a homosexual and a gay pedophile?

I don’t see why this would end a career.

Interestingly this teacher was fired while professor Mark Regnerus continues teaching, in spite of what was, at best, extremely sloppy research, but which could have been academic fraud intended to please the source of his funding.

Tenure is a hell of a drug.

Not talking about his ability to work, rather astounded that he would still go through the trouble.
Must have loved teaching…

HAHA gay people are so funny, let’s watch something that makes fun of gay people. You’re so enlightened!

Hey, p.s., when is the last time you used cash to buy something? :smile:

The “gay pedophile” stereotype is really really offensive and is still often used as a slur against gay men. The VAST majority of pedophiles are not gay.

2015 and it’s still happening with presidential hopefuls.

2 Likes

Sounds like a personal problem!

Sounds like a personal problem!

I think the teacher is claiming he was using the classic misrepresentation of homosexuality in the ‘educational film’ as a history lesson to his students. So, he wasn’t doing or promoting the misrepresentation (I don’t think) - he was giving a lesson on how it historically was so common as to be taught in schools in such a way.

Though I’m not sure what he got in trouble about - was it possibly endorsing the views of the film (depending on how he presented it) or was it the mocking of the views in the film (because plenty of people still prefer the ‘all gays are pedos’ viewpoint be taught as legit)…?

1 Like

It also still happens in the UK, although most parties tend to distance themselves from anyone who makes the comparison.

That’s what I wonder. The two students who complained: what was their complaint, really?

3 Likes

Sounds like the thing he was poking fun at was the “outdated depictions” not the “gay men”.

Homophobia isn’t hilarious, it’s ridiculous.

You just find gay people so funny, you’re so enlightened, such an ally.

And you’re so skilled at rhetoric, putting words in my mouth when I didn’t even say anything about “gay people”. When you react to what you imagine people are thinking, it says more about you than it does them.

I didn’t realize that you hated funny people.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.