Teacher resigns after school backs parent complaining he might “teach their child to be gay” with his classroom Pride flag

And they have players called

!!! !!! !!! !!!

6 Likes

I think you’ve got to decide in advance whether you’d really like to see it (NSFW; possibly TW?), but…

See also: Daniel Clowes, “On Sports

2 Likes

And conservatives know this, which is why they’ve been working so hard to make school board meetings a living hell for reasonable people.

11 Likes

Actually, do believe wrestling is by far, the gayest sport. At least in football, the whole point isn’t about spending several minutes hugging and groping your scantily clad, sweaty, sweaty opponent.

6 Likes

Yep, Greco-Roman wrestling. Even the name is extremely gay.

Wrestling matches aren’t as long as football games, but they are entirely groping. That’s the point. Groping, and trying to dominate your opponent. There isn’t even a ball flying through the air for plausible deniability.

Plus, the costumes are way skimpier.

4 Likes

I was going to post Peter Serafinowicz’s Sassy Trump video of Trump salivating over college wrestlers (all Trump’s own words), but all the Sassy Trump videos have been deleted.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Bill Burr on his father’s fear about what would “make him gay”:

At root this particular bit of homophobia seems inextricably linked with toxic masculinity.

1 Like

Huh. Mr Linkey has told me his family weren’t huggers, and that it wasn’t until he went off to college that hugs became a regular part of his life. I don’t think his parents thought it might “make him gay” but now I’m very curious…

7 Likes

7 Likes

maybe it’s kind of what people were saying above, but when male intimacy is taught as a weakness - people still crave touch, so the only “rational” thing to do is to engage in touch that looks like violence

:confused:

10 Likes

Stephen Colbert Chefs Kiss GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

5 Likes

And once you’ve moved to the “middle”, it’s not like they’ve moved, so you’ll have to move again, splitting the difference again and again, in an infinite series of Achilles and the Nazi paradox.

5 Likes

Then how do you explain all those Heterosexuality classes they made us sit through? Ya know, the ones where they taught us to look down girl’s shirts, and where we were trained to spend inordinate amounts of time having guilty thoughts about what they smell like in the naughty areas that they forced us to think about fifteen hours a day?

2 Likes

You joke, but have you read about some of the shit that goes on in conversion therapy? I have no idea how they aren’t convicted of sexual assault.

The Borderer remembers the warehouses full of untested rape kits

OK, that might be part of why they get away with it. :rage:

14 Likes

No, I really don’t know any details of that nightmare, nor do I really want to. But most of my life I’ve wanted to scream and rant along those lines, that damn it, nobody had to teach me to like girls that way. In fact, the ‘training’ was so thorough that it took me another twenty+ years to figure out that I’m not even actually ‘straight’.

1 Like

When i get ignorant statements of that sort, I usually ask “When did you decide to be straight/cis/male? And what made you choose thusly?” This usually garners very confused looks. “I didn’t decide, no one had to teach me, I just am!” Yup, exactly.

13 Likes

That’s always been my attitude about it. None of us develops these undignified obsessions by choice. I tried to handwave in my previous comment because to be explicit about what goes through our minds constantly as teenagers would be quite inappropriate in this context. But come on, what teenager is spending hours a day waiting patiently to assess histological compatibility with that cute redhead after school?

We are slaves to our endocrine systems in this regard, and to think that being reminded that not everybody is pulled in identical directions could somehow thwart those ancient mechanisms is… well, näive doesn’t really seem to suffice. How ’bout bleedin’ ign’nt? Have they tried telling kids to just say no next time the hormones go rampaging?

Well, we already know THAT doesn’t work!

At least not in a positive, long term, healthy way. It’s not just boys who have hormonal surges in puberty and adolescence. We’ve managed to teach girls to control their urges, albeit via misogynistic shaming.

But teaching respect and boundaries and good communication skills, not just once but as a regular theme throughout every child’s life (at home and at school) does work.

14 Likes

snl s reactions GIF

Indeed it does. Yes, teenagers are a mess of hormones and can be prone to bad decision making… But we have these big brains for a reason. We’re not just driven by our biology. If we were, we’d have never been able to build up any sort of civilization at all. Teens, although still in the process of becoming fully adult, are just as capable of using those big brains to think through their actions, if they are given the tools to do so.

13 Likes