Ted Cruz publicly threatens "woke" corporations not to take their bribes

If Ted Cruz is on Reddit, I hope he knows to post directly to r/selfawarewolves so he can get all the karma he’s due.

5 Likes

I doubt he did. That’s one of the many reasons he’s loathed by a large portion of his fellow party members.

7 Likes

9 Likes

I love that teddums also told us it costs just $300,000/yr to buy a politician. We always knew they were cheap fuckers, but man, the fuckers are really cheap!

13 Likes

Annoyed at these “pox on both your houses” stories, Ted Cruz is a hypocrite so it won’t matter if he takes the money later, he’ll find some justification that pleases his base, ignoring the red line reality he’s drawing up here.

I am, on the other hand, 100% on board with tying every company who donates to Ted Cruz to the election laws in Georgia. Because unlike Ted Cruz, they can’t just focus on 50.1% of an unrepresentative population, their market is global and if they’re publicly traded they’re extremely sensitive to optics.

6 Likes

Post’s been up all morning & still no correction of the lede…

2 Likes

Christ, Ted, you’re still an asshole.

9 Likes

Maybe at some point his family decides to change its name to disassociate themselves with Ted Cruz and became so prolific that in the future they could provide a substantial portion of the crew of a specific ship.

“Keep Firing, Cruzes!” doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

5 Likes

…equally refreshing & unnerving to see these schmucks get so comfortable with their misdeeds that they out themselves

Not that it was all that hidden before & corporate money is a bipartisan problem, but

Republicans “saying the quiet part out loud” has been the only good thing to come out of the Trump era.

8 Likes

$300k is overpayment for Ted. He threw his own children under the bus for free, after all.

6 Likes

Make no mind, this is nothing but virtue signaling for repubican base voters. He wants his constituency to see that he does not put up with corporate refusal to back his culture war. “See Ted stood up to Coke to protect elections.”

Also he is lying.

7 Likes

Ted Cruz’s statement is still incredibly disingenuous. The IRS apparently started an audit in 2010, that finished in 2015, then the court case lasted until January of this year with a $3.4 billion verdict, and now Coca-Cola is appealing.

There are a few important points, this is a court action between the IRS and Coca-Cola, the legislature has no dog in this fight unless they want to change tax law for the future, they can’t change the law for the taxes Coca-Cola is alleged to already owe.

If he was really protecting Coca-Cola with his congressional clout he would have done something to end the case in the last 10 years, not allow it to drag on to a verdict in the last days to the Trump administration.

Also the IRS never alleged that Coca-Cola owed $12 billion. Coca-Cola set aside that much, I would assume incase the IRS also game back and asked for taxes from years not a part of the audit. So the amount they should be forced to pay is the $3.4 billion that the court determined they owe, not some amount set aside ‘just in case’.

He is trying to attack the messenger so he can ignore the message.

9 Likes

I remain baffled his wife hasn’t divorced him yet. The highly dubious benefits of being married to this schmuck cannot possibly outweigh the downsides.

7 Likes

Consider the possibility that she is just as awful as he is.

3 Likes

Sadly, you’d have to be the one percent to barely afford those fees.

2 Likes

There are certainly no financial dependence issues for her. She’s a managing director at Goldman Sachs.

5 Likes

As far as I can tell from looking at their online edition, Fox News isn’t even reporting on Ted Cruz’s little letter to the editor. Hmm, I wonder why.

3 Likes

Corporations are people too!

So much for free markets, small government, and personal responsibility. The Republican Party has nothing more to offer other than a cult of personality around Trump, white supremacy, and hating anything not white and heterosexual.

Must be a sad and unfulfilling existence.

9 Likes

If you believe Nancy Maclean, (Democracy in Chains) neoliberal policies were pushed because they could be used to reinforce white supremacy without saying the quiet parts out loud. Small Government would lack the power to redress the legacy of slavery, and personal responsibility is just victim blaming. It all fits together, and the mask is merely coming off.

5 Likes