Ted Cruz publicly threatens "woke" corporations not to take their bribes

Originally published at: Ted Cruz publicly threatens "woke" corporations not to take their bribes | Boing Boing

11 Likes
19 Likes

34 Likes

I didn’t read it as not taking their money, rather that he wouldn’t honor the implications of their corrupt bargain. More akin to a child making a threat with no leverage.

9 Likes

Shouldn’t that read corporations that oppose the law? He’s all for companies that support disenfranchisement

33 Likes

I don’t believe for a second that he will ever stop taking the money, but it is good to get on the record that all corporate political donations were always just corruption.

Also, it’s important to remember that while these corps may occasionally adopt a thin veneer of performative concern for democracy or paint themselves in the colours of the cultural cause of the day, they are actually focussed 100% on their own power and wealth, and will let nothing get in the way of that. Any cause that has corporate backing is sufficiently neutered to be no threat, or is being weaponised to consolidate their existing power. No exceptions.

34 Likes

I don’t subscribe to the WSJ so I can’t read the whole manifesto, but was Cruz stupid/angry enough to actually use the word ‘bribe’? [I suspect not but it is Rafael “Ted” “Cancun” Cruz so it’s possible.] “Anything you say can be used against you in a court of law” and all that and a public editorial in the newspaper counts as “anything you say” as far as I’m aware.

3 Likes

And didn’t all of that happen just last week?!
Michael

3 Likes

Doesn’t Cruz want them to support the election laws?

1 Like

When the time comes that you need help with a tax break or a regulatory change, I hope the Democrats take your calls, because we may not.

Starting now, we won’t take your money either.

A politician saying they won’t take corporate money? It’s like saying, “I do not want to win my next election”. Malarkey. Nobody believes Lyin’ Ted.

8 Likes

This would actually be hearsay, though it may be admissible as a statement against interest, but that’s only if Cruz refuses to testify. The whole “anything you say” part of the miranda rights exclusively refers to interrogation by police.

4 Likes

That’s the most pathetic and attempt at a public shakedown I’ve seen since elementary school. He seems determined to prove himself a failure in every aspect possible of being a decent and likeable human.

18 Likes

Fighting big corporations in order to push full steam ahead with their culture war is an excellent strategy for Republicans, one that is sure to go well for them. I strongly encourage all Republicans to boldly go down this path. They definitely will not regret it.

16 Likes

Refusing to take corporate bribes to own the libs.

17 Likes

I predicted if the Republicans “right their ship” so to speak to finally eject the MTG and other nut jobs and return to chrony capitalism as usual, then it will be because their corporate sponsors are no long willing to support them.

Or maybe every My Pillow will crawl out of the wood work and pick up the slack.

2 Likes

This time, we won’t look the other way on Coca-Cola’s $12 billion in back taxes owed.

Wait, what? Can you explain this one a bit more fully? I have questions:

1. Does Coke owe $12 billion in back taxes?
  2. Did you “look the other way” in exchange for donations to your PAC?
  3. Is the new administration now pursuing this $12b in back taxes?

ETA: Maybe they will:

24 Likes

Ted Cruz: “We’re going to egregiously violate the First Amendment if we don’t like what you’re saying! Also, we take bribes!”

Hey Ted, thanks for laying it all out there.

25 Likes

I’m inclined to believe Bribin’ Ted.

If he says “I’m not going to be seen taking your money over the table,” you know he means it.

Not that he has the Operational Security talents required to not screw up this promise, mind you. But he absolutely doesn’t want any more “light money” that he might have to justify (or, God forbid, return.) It’s “dark money” all the way out from here on out!

6 Likes

Four months later they started another operation which the called ‘The Other Operation’. In this racket they selected another victim and threatened not to beat him up if he didn’t pay them.

15 Likes

I hope he coordinated this nonsense with the rest of the Republican party. Because after this, it’s going to look real bad for the party when they send out “please donate to us” letters to these same corporations (which I assume they do).

“I know a prominent member of our party previously characterized these donations as ‘bribes’, but please disregard that and give us more money please”.

15 Likes