Teen Bo$$: a magazine advising tweens on how to get rich by being "social media brands"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/01/dark-side-gevinsons.html

1 Like

In most contexts, this would be considered creepy.

12 Likes

What I’ve learned from these covers is to be a “Teen BO$$”, you need to be talented (at least I know Jojo is), work hard, and be a good salesperson. It also helps to be white, thin, and pretty.

So, the usual.

17 Likes

Also in this context.

8 Likes

I started wondering if this was a step up from other magazines.

But then, haven’t most magazines always been kind of icky?

4 Likes

At first glance, I thought this was the work of Liartown USA.

12 Likes

A publication telling people how to Get Rich Quick? What a novel and inspiring genre! This feels like a middle class white (at least from the cover designs) version of hoop dreams (the concept, not the movie) tell all the kids that a things that looks easy to do and is fun anyway should be their long-term goal, despite success being a rare long-shot.

5 Likes

Our boys’ (14 and 16) heroes are the youtubers making $$ from crappy (often vertical) videos. They watch with quiet awe as yet another pair of “rare” sneakers is unboxed. And videos of people hurting themselves.

1 Like

The entire Gen Z to the publisher: What’s a magazine?

10 Likes

Late Stage Capitalism (by which I mean the phenomenon as well as the New Yorker alternate caption in regard to the publisher of this abomination).

2 Likes

The context here may be akin to critical examination of some deadly bacteria under a microscope.

2 Likes

“In our next issue…that ‘Four Horseladies Of The Apocalypse’ makeover we’ve all been waiting for AND how to monetize it by customizing your My Little Pony figures”.

2 Likes

Back in the old century, all you got was homework to be the BOSS…

1 Like

Some of them were OK

(Jinty was science fiction stories aimed at girls, by some of the 2000AD writers and artists.)

3 Likes

Yet another example of “In a gold rush, the most money is made by selling shovels”.

12 Likes

Trying to decide if I should be inspired or nauseated. :thinking:

1 Like

15 Likes

It’s super-duper easy to be a Bo$$ Influencer when you have eyes that say to your enemies: work with me or you die!!!

Selection_477

11 Likes

I’m not going to lie, i secretly want to prank my office with a subscription to this. i know some hilarious discussions would ensue.

8 Likes

Check your airline points. Most carriers let you buy subscriptions for relatively small amounts, a flight or two will get you enough.

I had a friend who signed his (white, male) collegue up for ebony and cosmo after taking a few surveys from United Airlines

2 Likes