Teen who told the FBI on his father for breaking into Capitol is now in hiding

There’s a college gofundme for him

15 Likes

Damn, he’s got $140k so far. And it appears he’s going to use it wisely:

“this is going to financial advisors. I am not dumb enough to just sit on it, that’s to dangerous for an 18 year old.”

I hope this gives him the start he needs to insulate himself from his family while they unfuck their brains.

24 Likes

Which leads to where’s mom (and the siblings)? There’s a reasonable expectation of a history of abuse under the circumstances.

8 Likes

kids like this give me hope for the world.

11 Likes

On that note, this might be of interest:

No excerpt will do it justice.

9 Likes

That guy looks like he tried to make a Dalek costume out of a few bits and pieces he found in his kitchen.

6 Likes

Sometimes, when parents fall short, children have to step up and do what is right. He is a real mensch.

7 Likes

He’s right, though. Traitors SHOULD be shot. Imagine his surprise when Papa Patriot finds out which place on the firing line is his.

Bah. He’ll blame it on chlorine in the drinking water, the liberal media and public education.

2 Likes

But you ain’t bone fide.

8 Likes

My only full-blood brother is a conservative, racist, gun-smoker (maybe a MAGA? I don’t know) — and I try to be the complete opposite.

We don’t know why he turned out like he did. He did get a fair amount of coddling from my dad over his lifetime, due to the strain of depression that’s affected my family from my (deceased) mother’s side.
One could say it was the wrong combo of genetic tendencies, but I think a lot of things learned from society had so much to do with it. Systemic and constant casual racism are the USA’s own special marinade since before we formed a country.

ETA: I’m not sure he’d be dumb enough to storm the Capitol, but you can bet I looked for his image on the off chance he might have been there. I 'd turn him in within a heartbeat if he was involved.

18 Likes

The hell if I ain’t.

7 Likes

…nor his mother.

“He’s a sweet man.” Yeah, surrre.

1 Like

Yep, the dad’s use of the passive voice is doing some work here. Not necessarily that he’d be the one doing the shooting – could be an associate or fellow traveler – or maybe he would be him after all. Same energy as “nice business you’ve got here, it’d be a shame if something happened to it.”

4 Likes

When you think you have the willpower to violently overthrow the government, but not to pass on your daily pumpkin spice latte with extra frosting.

4 Likes

Exactly this. I am profoundly disappointed in our mass media that they haven’t imbued every conversation about the insurrection with the topic of what these people are patriotic to, and what they expressed loyalty to. Because it sure as heck isn’t the same set of values I was taught in school about our systems of government, checks and balances, and creating a land that provides opportunities for all (I know, I know) to pursue happiness. There was no voter fraud enough to effect the election. So what were they rallying against? I just want to make them say it.

It may be naive, but I think, barring brain chemical imbalances, most kids grow up with an innate sense of fairness. It has to be taught or beaten out of them, rather than the other way around.

12 Likes

The stakes are high.
What kind of country do we want to live it?
What kind of people

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/15/media/rebekah-mercer-parler/index.html

will manipulate the crazies to derail it?

I can imagine similar family dysfunction in the years leading up to the [first] civil war…

… which has regularly been characterized as pitting “brother against brother” but in reality divided entire families in what was the United States. Those divisions are scars with really long timelines.

THIS^.

Also, if a parent is this bad and any of the other family members do not recognize, call out, intervene and otherwise 100% condemn that family member, I’d say that teen has even more trouble on his hands than only his dad.

I have a sense that this scenario in varying degrees of toxicity and drama is playing out in a lot of U.S. MAGA families right now, and not simply because of some generation gap or oversimplified and unfairly dismissive “teen rebellion.”

I too am impressed with the young people in my son’s generational stratum, even if some I know personally have completely withdrawn from voting, civic participation, and even listening to the news. Some are nevertheless out in the streets demonstrating, providing mutual aid, feeding hungry and unhoused people, planting trees, picking up litter, fostering stray dogs and cats, setting up their own businesses, and more. They have made their decisions to route around the damage and make a difference where they think it will matter. You nailed it.

ETA: added more Mercer info

15 Likes

More like “peak miocardial infarction”. He looks likes he’s about a quarter mile jog away from one.

2 Likes

Oh, he’s definitely infarcked, one way or the other. :wink:

2 Likes

Saturday morning cartoons?
Public School teacher?

3 Likes

If his mother and father don’t want anything to do with him after he did what he thought was right then they are undeniably horrible parents. I heard that the mother stated that her husband was a kind and loving person. What kind of kind and loving father threatens their family and the son is forced to go into hiding? She’s also appalling for not supporting her son and his decision to do the right thing.

4 Likes