Teenager writes about the time she got her head stuck in a pumpkin

Quality journalism.

In the article, she says they managed to get a hand in to remove the rubberband holding her hair, and she was able to get out.

Many years ago a woman and her son approached me for my help at a supermarket parking lot just as I was about to leave. The boy was carrying one of those candy-filled clear plastic tubes, and he was in a major panic; his thumb was stuck in the tube’s pumpkin-head stopper. Atop the stopper was a hole just large enough to allow the kid to easily stick in his thumb by the first knuckle, but not large enough to allow him to pull it out. Anyway, I asked him to relax his hand and flex his thumb a bit while pulling out the thumb. No-go. So I whipped out my miniature Leatherman. (This was pre-9/11, so I happened to have it on my keychain.) Things being not as litiginous back then, I cut a small window in the pumpkin-head to see where I could cut closer to the kid’s thumb without cutting him, then made a final cut to safely free his thumb. The mother thanked me… then gave the kid a slap across the face. She bought him the treat… then gave him a trick. Nice mom.

2 Likes

Did the Nurse tell you stop fidgeting so he could get it out?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.