Teens were bored so they built a backyard roller coaster

Reminds me of this https://youtu.be/DPp2HlIMkmU

Still one of my favourite YouTube videos. Ah nostalgia.

But thats the way it goes for all of us, isn´t it?

I don’t understand kids today. Why can’t they just do drugs, like we did when we were bored?

7 Likes

Can’t help but notice at the very beginning that one of those teens has a broken arm. Coincidence? I think not!

Were I to see this video after arriving home, I would probably look at my children, ask them if they were still alive, and then stand there for a while concentrating on breathing.

3 Likes

Yeah, as cool as backyard coasters are, they don’t scale down as well as some other types of rides, (such as trains) especially in their duration. That pesky gravitational constant will get you every time.

1 Like

Sad to say, but I hope those parents do not, under any circumstances, let neighborhood children ride the thing. And, that they lock that “attractive nuisance” up good at night. Though they would look like selfish, paranoid grinches for doing so.

They’ve obviously built a solid structure (for an amateur) and have years of experience and experimentation to draw on. And it’s great they use helmets to mitigate neck injuries. Has it been stress tested? Do they know the maximum weight it can accommodate? Are they going to be as careful the 1000th time they run it as the first? In 1 or 2 years (or sooner), when it might accumulate weather deterioration or stress fractures, will they know to look for it before it there’s a failure? The fact is, they lose their house (or more) with the first lawsuit.

3 Likes

As someone who had the distinct and amazing pleasure of spending his teen years working for their family midway, I can say that 1) you are totally right, amusement rides are not to be trifled with, and 2: http://www.rideaccidents.com/

4 Likes

Helmets don’t mitigate neck injuries, if anything, they make them worse. Head rests mitigate neck injuries, which seems to be lacking on this contraption. It is an unquestionable death trap. That said, we used to just jump off the roof for our measure of adolescent danger. At least this is inspired.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.