Televangelist Kenneth Copeland says school shootings are the fault of "one demon-possessed woman" in 1963

Hey Kenneth, here’s a long list of all school shootings, including those PRIOR to 1963. How do you explain those, you melting faced genital wart?

We have always been a violent society. Kenneth knows it. He and his ilk count on it because they think violence will drive people into their arms and fuel their coffers. And it’s ALWAYS about the fucking money.

11 Likes

Sure you can, just not in any official capacity. If some kid wants to pray, they can pray all they want, before lunch, before a big test, whatever.

Nevertheless, this is just another version of “thoughts and prayers.”

10 Likes

9 Likes

Netflix made a movie about her
The Most Hated Woman in America

3 Likes

I do wonder how he explains all the other nations that have similar “no forced prayer in school” laws but have a surprising lack of school shootings.

7 Likes

If the problem stems from a lack of prayer and bibles at public schools then how does he explain church shootings?

13 Likes

I just don’t understand human beings.
This guy is clearly a deluded idiot/grifter.
But he has so many people who listen to him as if he is not a deluded idiot/grifter.
What is going on, humans??

4 Likes

9 Likes

Translation: God requires your prayers or else he will let someone shoot you with a high-powered weapon of war.

The god these people believe in is an asshole.

13 Likes

sometimes wonderful things are only wonderful ironically

2 Likes

But there are bibles and prayer in schools. You just can’t require public school students to pray and read the bible. I don’t believe in a god that gives a shit about human behavior, but what sort of omnipotent god would kill a bunch of kids to punish their parents for not forcing public dispalys of christianity into schools? A violent asshole that searches for excuses to blame his victims for the abuse He inflicts. Is that really society’s exemplar of goodness?

5 Likes

AIUI, a God imagined by someone who had read the Old Testament very, very closely, and the central message of the New Testament almost not at all.

7 Likes

Because his audience is deluded idiots, too?

Actually, while the OT has a lot more violence, bloodshed and Miracles of Mass Destruction, if you read it closely and pay attention, you’ll notice that there’s a constant refrain:

“Be kind to the poor and the sick. Help the widows and the orphans. Treat the strangers among you well, for you were once strangers in a strange land, too.”

There is not such a stark difference between the core message of the OT and the NT as a lot of people tend to say, and honestly, the idea of the OT as nothing but the aforementioned violence & bloodshed is behind some very old flavors of antisemitism (as well as some early Christian heresies, such as claiming the God of OT is the false demiurge, while Jesus was sent by the real good God, which also means the Jews are bad and evil).

6 Likes

How about then, who read the Old Testament obsessively yet selectively.

6 Likes

That sounds about right, yeah. (See also: the people who obsess over the Revelations, while mostly ignoring the Gospels and all the rest. It is not a coincidence that these tend to be the same people doing both.)

4 Likes

Periodic reminder that humans are, at their core, apes with weapons and a written language.

1 Like

It’s Revelation, singular, unless they have a very non-standard Deuterocanon.

Yes, I know that the Xtians call it Revelations. Being wrong is their default position, I’m not blaming you.

4 Likes

“don’t make invisible sky daddy mad again” :grimacing:

3 Likes

2 Likes

I’ve observed before that the way God is often portrayed, even by his followers, is not dissimilar to an abusive parent. And we all know how hard it is for people to leave abusive situations sometimes.

2 Likes