Tell me you are going to die of polonium poisoning without telling me you'll die of polonium poisoning

Exactly. Also, if its frozen they can’t bring any force to evict you.

2 Likes

That may be the case in your jurisdiction (I’d be very interested to see a link to relevant law) but in the UK -and any other common law derived jurisdiction I am familiar with - knowing that the land belongs to someone else and intending to occupy as if you owned it to the exclusion of everyone else including the actual owner is basically the definition of adverse possession.

This sums it up fairly well:

UK law has a few wrinkles as far as the time periods are concerned and has added a requirement to give notice once 10 years are up, then wait a while to see if the owner does anything but otherwise it’s the same.

Nothing there about not knowing who the owner is.

All that’s needed is that you occupy it as if you owned it and the owner doesn’t kick you out in time.

The owner can have as many signs proclaiming their title and intentions as they like.

You move in, take all the signs down, put up a fence, change the locks etc and live there long enough and you’ve got yourself adverse possession under the common law.

Will you stop poking me with your umbrella? Go stand somewhere else.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.