Temporary Jeopardy! host named to replace Alex Trebek

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/24/temporary-jeopardy-host-named-to-replace-alex-trebek.html

1 Like

I hope IBM Watson will be invited to Guest Host sometime!

6 Likes

Jennings is unquestionably the Jeopardy! GOAT (Greatest Of All Time)

I love how this assertion caused the ‘related BoingBoing posts’ to include only those about goats.

8 Likes

His twitter game is excellent as well, looking forward to this.

2 Likes

I have never seen a single one of his Jeopardy appearances (or any Jeopardy) but I listen to the podcast he does with a man who is a much bigger celebrity to me, John Roderick, and he’s a decent, witty and knowledgeable man, so I am OK with this. I mean, as I said, I don’t watch the show, so I would be OK with anyone I suppose but I think Ken will do a good job.

2 Likes

I just hope whoever they land on holds themself to the same standard law Trebek of being able to pass the contestant exam every year.

2 Likes

This is unexpectedly appropriate and a brilliant casting choice. Jennings is incredibly Trebek-like in his intelligence, demeanor, and wholesomeness.

3 Likes

I vote for John Hodgman to replace Trebek. He’s got the perfect combination of dry delivery, pedantic haughtiness, and loves ribbing nerds, especially since he’s a huge one.

14 Likes

He’d be good but I’d rather not have him take time off from work that is much more meaningful to me than a game show. Such as writing books, an animated TV show and being a fake internet judge.

4 Likes

I have not been a fan of Ken Jennings, his demeanor or personality.
oh, I will watch. too much of a Jeopardy! junkie to quit cold.
I had heard a rumor of a petition to get Lavarr Burton to host. that excites me no end! (too bad it’s not true)

4 Likes

Also, when anyone says “Yahoo! mail”

There were people who didn’t like Alex.

They were wrong.

Now you are.

Can’t please everybody.

Ken Jennings seems like a fine replacement to me, but I too am excited by the specter of a chance of LeVar Burton doing it.

2 Likes

I think Lavarr Burton would make a great host.

1 Like

What a perfect solution to an agonizing decision.

For permanent host, Lavarr Burton would be great. I think of Trebek as the last of his breed - the host who always plays the “straight man” which gave the show a bit of a PBS/NPR feel. If they want to lighten things up, Andy Richter’s a rare person who is both deferential sidekick and hilarious in his own right. Smart and humble, he also won celebrity jeopardy.

NSFW for swear words:

John Mulaney has the intellectual chops and I think is one of the funniest people on the planet but I spose his tone might wear thin if it’s out there on a daily basis.

Booting up Goat Simulator…

Ken and John’s Omnibus podcast is worth your time! Highly recommended.

Watching Jeopardy! for the next month is going to be even more heart-rending…
Damn you, 2020!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.