Ten great, groundbreaking avant garde records

Was about to add Ikue Mori, saw you did already, good call! Also thumbs up to Yoko and Alice Coltrane. Can we consider Diamanda Galas avant garde?

4 Likes

I genuinely envy you discovering Henry Cow, and even more so Art Bears, if you haven’t already. Despite what some folk around here say, Dagmar Krause is truly one of the greats.

2 Likes

Yes! That’s her! Thanks!

I’m just putting up avant-garde women that I find interesting… groundbreaking tends to be a bit in the eye of the beholder, if you ask me, but YMMV.

2 Likes

Yes.

4 Likes

I was just listening to Hissing, such a great album.
"In 1979, Mitchell complained to (Cameron Crowe) about the reception of Hissing , questioning why it was so lukewarm in contrast to that of fellow Hollywood cynics Steely Dan. With the release of Steely Dan’s biggest smash and critical darling Aja in 1977, the band had essentially become Donald Fagen and Walter Becker’s front for trafficking in famous jazz musicians. Their new music arrived at genre-defying conclusions that were similar to Joni’s, even featuring some of the same players. “[ Aja ] was applauded as a great, if somewhat eccentric, work”, Mitchell commented. “I fail to see the eccentricity of it, myself”.

2 Likes

Oh god, Out To Lunch is SUCH a great album. I’m a huge Mingus fan but I don’t know if anyone in jazz ever had a better musical mind than Dolphy. What a tragic death.

5 Likes

Try this:

…an active index dedicated to collecting and curating women artists working in the avant-garde, electronic, experimental, noise, classical, jazz and other non-mainstream audio/music arts.

1 Like

Of course…

I’m jealous of my friend who got to see her live.

4 Likes

I remember back when Ken Burns’ Jazz first aired, one of the jazz DJs (Jay Trachtenberg) at KUT-FM* was handing over the mic to the overnight DJ**. They were both briefly discussing the Burns documentary. The overnight DJ started a mini-rant, something like “y’know, to be honest, I don’t really even like jazz. But y’know what? I love this–” and immediately cut to “Hat and Beard.”

* (Austin)
**(can’t remember his name; might’ve been the guy who led off with Cliff Edwards’ “Night Owl”)

But I came back here to add these to the pile:

2 Likes

Great to see Hermeto given his due, what a wonderful artist. Also:

• Miles Davis - On The Corner
  • Mwandishi Herbie Hancock - Sextant
  • Jon Hassell - Fourth World Possible Musics Vol.1
  • Jimmy Giuffre - 1961
  • Ornette Coleman and Pat Metheny - Song X
  • Basic Channel - any of the 12"s or BCD
  • DJ Rashad - Double Cup (but really most Footwork is radically avant-garde)
  • Autechre - Draft 7.30 or Confield (or most any of their albums)
  • Mark Fell - Multistability
  • 4 hero - Parallel Universe (or any early Jungle)
  • Scott Walker - Tilt
  • Public Enemy - It takes a nation of millions

Okay, must go back to work…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.