Ten woodworking gift projects you can still finish by Christmas

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/12/14/ten-woodworking-gift-projects-you-can-still-finish-by-christmas.html

5 Likes

I’m fairly certain I would wind up injuring myself. Can I just pay Dave to do it for me?

6 Likes

Those videos give me a raging case of workshop envy!
Nice projects, too. The “bespoke” pencils seem a little crazy, but otherwise all very realistic.

5 Likes

3F2B9DE7-FA45-4356-A78C-EABC04B3DB76

5 Likes

He touches on this in passing, but a “one-day” project can mean four days or a week when you include finishing. A varnish or tung oil finish may require 3-5 coats, with 24 hours’ drying time in between. Not many presents look good in raw wood.

You still have enough time, though, if you start now.

5 Likes

I’m not much of a woodworked, but when I did any projects, the worst part to me was finishing. I also hate home painting & wallpapering, probably for the same reasons.

My solution: give wood projects as gift “kits”. Perhaps even with the necessary stains, oils, brushes, & etc. The giftee will be reminded of your thoughtfulness during each of those sand/stain/sand/oil/etc sessions.

3 Likes

I’m in the process of organizing myself some kind of workshop space in our new garage but I don’t have a full size workbench yet, so I told my wife that I just want a bunch of 2x4s for Christmas since they are basically Legos for dads.

2 Likes

Another woodworking gift project would be giving someone - some timber.

3 Likes

I have given away a bunch of black walnut I milled forever ago as gifts… It rules because I always get a cutting board/pen/&tc down the line.

4 Likes

That’s a really good idea! I have a pretty basic workshop, so if a woodworker with a more extensive set up gifted me some planed and jointed pieces of nice walnut or cherry or birdseye maple, I’d be psyched.
Side note, but back when I had access to a fully equipped workshop, I discovered that wooden pallets often include some real prizes! I still have a little cocktail cutting board I made from one.

4 Likes

Wow. It’s Red Green, but his projects actually work.

Have you explored the workbench world? There are really interesting options but it’s easy to get lost in the woods. How big? Which tools do you use?

Considering this?

Or:

It is hard to choose a “perfect” work bench because you must be attuned to type of work and tools you most often use.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.