Tenacious D's Video Games music video hits all the right notes

Originally published at: Tenacious D's Video Games music video hits all the right notes | Boing Boing

1 Like

I have to say I don’t understand the point of Tenacious D

It doesn’t seem to be serious but I don’t know who it’s mocking, or why those people deserve Jack Black’s derision :confused:

I think he’s just having fun making music, and happens to be pretty funny so his music can be as well.

11 Likes

If we’re going to discuss Jack Black and video games, I have to mention the excellent Brütal Legend:

7 Likes

Less “Jack Black’s derision,” and more of “Jack Black’s loving and funny tribute to his beloved rock music.” They’re to rock music what Galaxy Quest was to Star Trek.

11 Likes

Beat me to it.….

3 Likes

As mentioned, Jack Black most definitely doesn’t hate or dislike rock music or rock musicians. He seems outright worship Ronnie James Dio for instance.

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen, the greatest parodies seem to come from people who adore the medium they’re pillorying. Ween is a great example of a band who basically take each of their most influential bands and make a spot-on parody that works beautifully as a representative example of that music. I mean, 12 Golden Country Greats is a masterpiece to the degree that in my shithole one-stoplight hometown, one of the bars unironically had it in the jukebox alongside Travis Tritt and Garth Brooks. I imagine that would make them extremely proud.

2 Likes

No Pitfall, though? That’s a gross oversight.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.