Tennesse woman opens fire at family backing up in her drive way

If you hit someone 100 times in one incident, you get one charge of assault, not 100. If you attempt to murder seven people by shooting 1000 bullets, you are only charged seven times. It isn’t that complicated.

3 Likes

headline still wrong on the BBS listing

We are throwing the book at her but you are being soft on crime!

As a transplant East Tennesseean, I also noticed the use of “setting” in place of “sitting.” I surprised myself when my inner pedant didn’t immediately mentally correct the usage.

Some people simply refuse to respect private property.

At the end of her drive going up to her house she did have a no
trespassing sign. But I couldn’t very well put a vehicle in reverse
and back up four miles down the road.

Also liked the other Southernisms like “does she got a gun” and “hollering”. Also plus one for the journalist’s name who reported the story.

I used have a book “The Southern Dictionary” to help me in cases like this. My favorite definition was:

"Ain't:
-My mother's sister."

I’m not a hater, my in-laws are all southern and great, btw.

Always thought it was ironic when people bash the way black folks speak when much of it is basically adoption of the way people speak in the deep south. Hmm, I wonder why that is…?

Or maybe she thought she THOUGHT she was in the OTHER 25 states with Stand Your Ground laws.

I think Zimmerman shoulda fried, I’m a gun owner and I think the U.S. needs to have mandatory gun registration. Just love the modern “blame somebody else” games. Boycott Florida, give me a break.

But the most that could be hurt is 2 of the 7.

I mean, the bullets missed so they presumably went somewhere. But she isn’t being charged with endangering everyone in a cone from the point of shooting out to the ultimate range of the weapon.

Ricochet, Shrapnel, bullet penetrating one body then hitting another…

Plus, where are the disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, attempted murder and brandishing a weapon charges? This could easily be a case with 14*5 = 70+ charges. I mean, why not? Ariel Castro has been charged with 977 counts in his kidnapping case.

2 Likes

Dear Gods, my home state, county and town. Well, not to defend the woman, but if you’re not familiar with the area in question there are lots of very isolated areas where people live. The whole Appalachian area has in fact one of the most enduring histories of isolation. The mountains are long and steep with lots of ‘hollers’, small valleys that terminate back into a dead end against a mountain. She has no real justification for doing what she did, but considering that history and age of the woman, I’m not surprised at all. Coming up on dead end roads in BFE is a risky affair there…

2 Likes

Always thought it was ironic when people bash the way black folks speak when much of it is basically adoption of the way people speak in the deep south. Hmm, I wonder why that is…?

My understanding was that it had flowed the other way. Wealthy white Southerners were being raised by African slaves and they tended to adopt the speech mannerisms of the people actually raising them, rather than their parents. Poor white Southerners then mimiced the wealthy, with the result being a region wide dialect of English with African influences.

From wiki:

Southern dialects originated in large part from immigrants from the British Isles who moved to the South in the 17th and 18th centuries.

African American Vernacular English

This type of Southern American English originated in the Southern States where Africans were at that time held as slaves. These slaves originally spoke indigenous African languages but eventually picked up English to communicate with their masters and one another. Since the slave masters spoke Southern American English, that is the dialect of English the slaves learned.

1 Like

Is there something, aside from mere isolation, that would induce people to shoot first and ask questions later? Or is it the feral savagery that makes the isolation a matter of necessity to keep the homicide down to a dull roar?

“Is there something, aside from mere isolation, that would induce people to shoot first and ask questions later?”

Maybe the growing meth problem, perhaps. My dad has said it’s getting pretty bad there. Economically the area has not had a great history either and that has caused a lot of people to resort to crime. But that’s supposition on my part. From her perspective, that of living on a dead end road, a nice car rolls up and she’s all alone, that’s probably all she needed.

I suppose my input really does rotate heavily around first-hand experience. Could she be a tea party nutbag? Yeah, sure. Could she be a 72 year old woman who lives on a road so isolated that Google streetview hasn’t even covered yet and she’s not taking chances? Could be. Neither are good reasons to just open fire like that…

She endangered 7 people so she got 7 counts. By your logic maybe they should have charged her with 14 counts. 7 people times 2 shots. Or maybe vandalism for damaging the car. On second thought, we should just let the authorities decide on the charges.

Now I will play devils advocate for a moment, and point out that it would be just as wrong for her to do what she did had there been only one person in the car. The woman needs jail time to be sure, I just think it is strange that she is getting the charge seven times over when she probably had no idea of the number of people in the car. I suppose I’m getting into the theory side of things here. At least there is a reason for the number.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.