Tennessee school safety officer arrests parent for calmly objecting to pick-up policy

It’s liability. The first time little Johnny has his friends talk him into sneaking to the grocery store to steal candy and it triggers a statewide amber alert, weeks worth of nightly news reports will be dedicated to hand wringing and angry accusations that the school is not concerned about the safety of children. Not long after comes the millions of dollars worth of settlements to make it all go away and ruined careers.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending this school’s policy. But the problems with developing a nanny state are just a reaction to problems with our legal system. There is not a school district in the entire nation who has the power to take that kind of risk.

4 Likes

I live right across the street from this school. I can vouch for it being unsafe. This is the tamest of the local SD’s actions in this county.

The older I get, the more I see the wisdom of NWA.

10 Likes

Why would the officer have to read him his rights? That’s not necessary. It’s a myth that they have to do that. They only have to read someone their rights if they wish to question them and use their statements as evidence.

3 Likes

Was that really necessary?

Despite the paltry amount of Tennessee’s tax dollar allocated towards education, there are dedicated educators working hard for Tennessee’s children. Such as Nashville’s academic magnet program, of which I am an alum. Cumberland County is a rural or at least semi-rural district. I’m quite certain wherever you live has rural areas with less optimum schooling and overall less progressive attitudes. So let’s lay off the region bashing, pal.

4 Likes
Aytes's boss, Cumberland County Sheriff Butch Burgess is described as saying he "hasn't seen the video and doesn't need to, because it won't tell the whole story."

And God forbid he should even learn part of the story, eh?

10 Likes

The nanny state has multiple branches. And the judicial branch is one of them.

It was the people who work to keep that funding “paltry” that I was taking a dig at. I have nothing but respect for people who work in education, particularly in environments which are less than supportive.

1 Like

The principal at my son’s school spends 20 minutes every Open House giving the PARENTS a lecture on how to use the crosswalk. Not only are children NOT allowed to walk to/from school (we live less than a mile away) she feels the need to lecture the parents who come pick them up and walk with them.

To patronize and annoy.

1 Like

Apparently, making a cop feel bad and/or stupid is now a crime too.

7 Likes

I don’t think it’s inaccurate to call this the “nanny state” at work at all.

No matter the motivations, be it liability, demands of helicopter parents, or political, it all has the same outcome, a government run institution forcing you to be “safe”.

You Americans are strange. First you pay to finance worldwide surveillance, now you complain about living in a police state. Just bend over a little more, you have no rights.

9 Likes

OK, but to me “Tennessee still has schools?” read as “they are dumb” rather than “they are underfunded,” though obviously I’m a bit defensive. Truce.

5 Likes

So some kids walk home, some kids get picked up. Parents don’t like waiting in the long line in their cars (I’m one of them) so they’ll sign to allow their kid to walk home from school, then in reality they just tell them to walk over to a nearby location and pick them up there. These are the people who have created this scenario, they have their kid walk out to the curb and pick them up half-assed in the middle of the crosswalk. It’s so dangerous and that’s why the school releases walking kids AFTER car riders. The “victim” in the video won’t accept this, he won’t wait in the long car line and he won’t wait til his kids are released to walk home. It’s so easy to dump on “the man” though so I get it.

2 Likes

I think it always has been, but now we have near-ubiquitous video cameras demonstrating the fact.

2 Likes

Whatever the wisdom or lack thereof of the policy, should the dude get arrested simply for calmly arguing with the cop over the policy? Hint, the answer is no.

12 Likes

I buy that, there appears to be some Barney Fife action going on there but the overwhelming opinion seems to be this guy is not only a victim of a spaz cop but also in the right to begin with, which I can’t agree with. He rolls into the school saying he’s going to take his kids right then regardless of policy so calm or not he’s raising a stink.

What could ever be a good reason for denying a parent the right to take their kids home from school immediately and at any time . . . barring natural disaster, major land war outbreak nearby, or zombie apocalypse?

1 Like

There isn’t any reason and the school wouldn’t refuse. This isn’t a random moment though, the new policy, him complaining to the sheriff already, the timing of when he came in to take his kids, it’s all designed to make a point. The cop makes an equally bad decision out of fear and anger but the victim is not bucking a dirty system, he’s being a dick.