Tennessee school safety officer arrests parent for calmly objecting to pick-up policy

One legit reason could be “legal custody issues” (i.e. a parent attempting to take a kid who legally resides with their ex) but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

1 Like

If you listen to the officer, his argument isn’t that the children can’t be picked up by their father on foot. He says that the school rule is that children who walk home can’t leave until after the buses leave, most probably to minimize the risk of a child getting in an accident

1 Like

Asshole tries to figure out way to cut line fights with officer gets arrested.

end of story.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d thought of adding those modifiers to parent: parent with legitimate right of custody who is not visibly intoxicated or brandishing a firearm, but didn’t think I needed to.

1 Like

The school did refuse, though, hence the parent’s anger, the justifiability of which you and I disagree upon. None of what you typed after the first sentence justifies their refusal in any way, and things like “you’re trying to be difficult” (said around 3:30) will likely provide evidence for the threatened lawsuit, i.e., that the school refused out of pride, hurt feelings, stubbornness, etc. I wonder what they’d do to a parent asking tough questions at a PTA meeting?

Wow, I was intrigued to see my Neighborhood (and it’s school) on Boing Boing. Living a couple of hundred yards from here, I can attest that the traffic situation is abysmal and unsafe, but in defence of the school, the way the road and driveways are laid out makes getting into and out of the facility difficult. The only surprise to me that MORE parents haven’t questioned the system.

The strategy this gentleman (and others) use is to park in an empty commercial building’s parking lot near the school grounds and ‘walk’ onto the campus to pick up their kids. It makes sense given that people take up less space than cars in a line and can move faster. To combat this perceived “cutting of line”, the school recently changed the order in which children who “walk home from school” are released from the building, from first, to last. Thus making this strategy of walking rather than waiting in a line of cars less desirable.

This parent seemed to be protesting this change. Hens the “give me my kid now” position he was taking.

3 Likes

I don’t think there should be any policies preventing parents - who have shown no signs of being abusive or neglectful - from picking up their kids whenever they please. There is no rational reason behind the school’s refusal other than an argument from authority.

1 Like

So my question is this:

I know, for example, that there are websites where cops get together and share ideas such as taking a camera/phone away from a person who is using it to record them and later claiming they were afraid it was a weapon.

But is there a similar site for public school administrators? How do these ideas spread? Their lawyers?

You internet commentors are strange, you seem to love taking the desires of disparate sub-populations and mash them together to create the appearance of supergroup hypocrisy.

7 Likes

Dad wants to pick up his kids from school. Since dad doesn’t pick them by driving a car then, according to the rules, dad needs to wait in line (a usually mile long line) with cars or wait until the cars are gone. Dad thinks that’s fucking stupid and it makes more sense for him to walk to the entrance and pick up his kids. Rules are not like that so he can sign something that would let his kids walk alone and meet him at the end of the line. Dad thinks signing that would not be safe for his kids and he’d rather pick them up himself so he doesn’t sign it. Neither the school nor the cops agree with the pretty reasonable dad and, apparently, are not willing to change the nonsensical rules, so he gets arrested.

3 Likes

I live in a nearby county and at my daughter’s former elementary school the walkers went to a separate opening in the fence and parents could get them in parallel with the car-riders. The new principal that came in while we were there made pick-up a military-style operation where even parents who were trusted long-time volunteers were yelled at if they stepped in the wrong place at pick-up time. It was very insulting, but you could still get your kids without sitting in a 30 minute car line that backs up into the busy main street. Whatever the rules, arresting a parent because he argues - calmly? That’s not a good sign.

2 Likes

At one point (about 2:40 in the video), the deputy calls the parent by his first name, Jim. Either he’s being a bit too familiar for the situation or they know each other and possibly have a history of some kind. That might help explain some of the animosity we’re seeing.

What was that thing the sheriff said at the end, “You can’t hold your camera something something”, “Not on school property you can’t” ?

Why does this kind of shit (overreaching law/security officers) always happen in that part of America? You guys sure are no Az or Tx but what the hell, man?

1 Like

The update will likely be that the parents were acting douchey and didn’t like the guy… the guy overreacted and was stupid… and the school chastises both of them for taking some political thing and turning it into this near the kids.

I wager we’ll hear the husband’s name in politics soon enough around here in Tennessee… .or we’ll see this in some footage trying to oust the sheriff.

Sadly, from here. Nine out of ten times, this is just some “spat” that got extended to the point that it’s at.

How do you know this? Are you familiar with this particular school, or just deeply confident in the police?

I AM familiar with this school. And this county. It’s insane. Kids don’t ride the bus anymore. And parents don’t want to wait til school lets out to pick up their kids, so they all just come barreling through as the busses are loading up kids and all demand their kids at once. They park out in the middle of the street, put their blinkers on, and run inside, or wave their kids over. Or get out of their car and wave their kids over. And this is in the middle of the street, at like, 2:15 in the middle of the day.

Like, 100 cars. All doing this. All at once. It’s FUCKING MADNESS and it’s amazing three kids a week aren’t run over.

3 Likes

to my ears, when managing the form he mentions a part about his children needing to walk from the school without the parents and he declines that option.

sounds like Utah. small children are not only allowed to roam without adults… it’s still encouraged.

For about the zillionth time, I would like to say that you should run posts which feature legal topics by an attorney to avoid dispensing misinformation. I would be happy to volunteer even!

I did not read the local coverage, or watch the video, but the post says the officer arrested the defendant without reading him his rights, or enumerating charges against him.

Firstly, I presume you meant the defendant was not read his Miranda rights. The police do not have to read a person the Miranda warning unless the person is being subject to custodial interrogation. It is not required to be read at the time of any arrest.

Secondly, police are not required to tell a person the charges for which they are being arrested. Indeed, it is generally impossible for them to do so since it is the prosecuting attorney (usually the district attorney, sometimes the city attorney, sometimes someone else) who “charges” a person. There are exceptions, but none worth getting into really.

There are some other interesting issues which are going on here which would be fun to discuss if anyone was interested, but I just wanted to take a moment to talk about some basics of the American legal system (as again, and I cannot emphasize this enough; often the posts on this site just spread really bad/wrong versions of the law).

5 Likes