Terror in Paradise: 'I Got the Hawaii Missile Message and Prepared to Die'

I think our emergency protocol for handling any serious crisis should include plans for rushing Trump to the closest golf course and leaving him there until the grownups have dealt with the problem. Why risk turning a catastrophe into an apocalypse?

34 Likes

Somebody “pushed the wrong button?” My ass.

5 Likes

It was shitty. I remember having bomb drills in our classroom when I was less than 10. You would get under your desk, and put your ass to the windows. That was the official instructions - put your ass to the windows.

6 Likes

What concerns me about this false alarm is people won’t respond the same next time. People might not take a real threat seriously if the alerts have been going off falsely.

1 Like

Say something sensible and reassuring? No, you are right - no one would expect that from Tr***p.

9 Likes

If he can find time in his day to post yet another rant about “fake news” and a book that hurt his feelings then he can find time to offer a few words of comfort to a million Americans who spent 40 minutes thinking they were about to die in a nuclear holocaust.

That is, he could if he wasn’t a buffoonish sociopath.

21 Likes

“Not creating the conditions that make a nuclear attack plausible” would’ve been nice, too.

25 Likes

Honestly, I’m glad he kept golfing; that way he couldn’t fuck anything up as he naturally is wont to do.

Also, I prefer to believe that TPTB in defense never gave 45 the real nuclear codes, and have an unspoken policy of trying to neutralize extinction-level event problems before they even tell him about it.

(Shut up, let me have my fantasy; it comforts me.)

23 Likes

You know, it doesn’t sound that implausible. I mean, there are some bright people in the defense department right? I’ve certainly heard crazier conspiracy theories.

Man, I hope you’re right.

9 Likes

12 Likes

Damn, you’re quick with the replies. Ninja poster.

8 Likes

16 Likes

This is the exact logic my dog uses to congratulate himself for 12 years with not one single break-in by the mailman! All because of his barking at the imminent threat. A record to celebrate, right?

7 Likes

or at least a nucular one!

5 Likes

Its analogous to tsunami alerts in the Pacific. They go out when any earthquake is detected which might have caused a tsunami, and are canceled once the wave would have come ashore. It just means there might be a dangerous wave. Its the best we can do.

And consider that its only slightly more difficult for North Korea to put a nuclear bomb into low earth orbit, then deorbit it when they want to actually attack something. In that scenario there would be a few minutes warning at the absolute best.

1 Like

stimpy_button

8 Likes

On the one hand it’s nice that Hawaiian officials were trying their best to calm people down after the false alert. But on the other hand “THERE IS NO THREAT” is probably just the kind of thing SkyNet would post on all the highway signs right after launching all the nukes.

19 Likes

In the plus side, in the event of a nuke, people would take the Curse of Pele against taking any rocks a lot more seriously.

2 Likes

OK, usually I hate spoilers, but… uh, do we still have Hawaii?

Asking for a friend.

6 Likes

/s

3 Likes