Terry Pratchett's daughter says she will not write or authorize more Discworld books

[Read the post]

2 Likes

I wonder what this means for things like the Science of the Discworld books, or the diaries and mapps and stuff.

3 Likes

What does this mean for this ā€œin development hellā€ series. Is it still a go? His daughter was supposed to do something with thatā€¦and Pratchett already signed off and the BBC signed on for the series, pitched as "CSI Ankh-Morpork.

EDIT: On careful reading itā€™s ruling out novels maybe a TV show will still be possible, as his daughter was already signed on to write on that with her fatherā€™s blessing.

ā€œNo. Iā€™ll work on adaptations, spin-offs, maybe tie-ins, but the books are sacred to dad,ā€ she wrote on Twitter. ā€œThatā€™s it. Discworld is his legacy. I shall make my own.ā€

5 Likes

So what the best site for fan fiction? Iā€™m not a big fan of fan fiction (sorry for being redundant there) but I thought Iā€™d give it a peek. Why? Mostly curiosity, but after I had a break-down in Londonā€™s Forbidden Planet a few weeks ago having bought some replacement copies of Pratchettā€™s books and realizing they were the first I had bought since he diedā€¦ Iā€™m still in mourning, and could do with some relief. Donā€™t ask me how fan fiction will be reliefā€¦ I have no idea.

2 Likes

I respect her decision. I would have liked to see what she could have made of it, if sheā€™d tried it herself. There was an interview with her a while back where she said shed helped with a few of the jokes towards the end.

Thatā€™s ok, my new series Saucerworld is completely unrelated. *whistles*

3 Likes

Wasnā€™t it pterry who said something along the lines of ā€œAfter the final manuscript is submitted, a cry of ā€˜get a real job, literary history scholarsā€™ goes up and all drafts are consigned to the fire.ā€?

1 Like

Give it a couple years, maybe a decade or two. The time flies anyway. Not all decisions are necessarily final. In time, the siren song of the world may or may not lure her back.

1 Like

I didnā€™t realize that the very last one would be another Tiffany Aching novel. Iā€™m really behind on my reading but she is one of my very favorite fictional characters, and Pratchettā€™s love for her really shines through. The Wee Free Men was actually my introduction to Pratchettā€™s writing.

What a loss.

Sheā€™s quoted as explicitly saying ā€œnovels.ā€ To me, the books youā€™ve mentioned donā€™t fall into the category. So, not a categorical ā€œnoā€ at this time, it seems.

Currently, I donā€™t really read fanfic, mostly due to lack of time. Two of my sweeties are recommending (although refraining from claiming any one as 'best,) Archive of Our Own and FanFiction (dot net). One says that there are plenty of sites out there, but those are two of the best of which she knows.

Best news I have heard in long time about future of the Discworld.

2 Likes

Good on her. Monsieur Herbert, take noteā€¦

Itā€™s tortoises all the way downā€¦

2 Likes

I agree, even though I donā€™t much care for Pratchett. The world definitely doesnā€™t need another Christopher Tolkein or Brian Herbert. When daddy casts a shadow that long, it can be hard to step out of it and do your own thing, but itā€™s worth it.

2 Likes

Sometimes the offspring can outshine the father. It is rare but it can happen. The listed examples illustrate that it usually does not happen.

FanFiction is a little like a chronic STI. Itā€™s no big deal if you manage your symptoms, but not exactly the sort of thing you bring up in public.

Having said that, I think BoingBoing will absolutely appreciate Mister Vimesā€™d Go Spare!. Enjoy.

Giovanni Giacometti?
Hans Holbein der Ƅltere?.

1 Like

I think the Tolkien situation is not quite the same; as far as Iā€™m aware, Christopher is not so much writing new stories in Middle Earth, but compiling existing material by his dad. I think what heā€™s doing is totally valid.

ā€¦ or another Bush.

Or are we only talking about authors here?

1 Like