Tesla 'assertive' mode is too aggressive, 53,822 cars recalled

Originally published at: Tesla 'aggressive' mode is too aggressive, 53,822 cars recalled | Boing Boing

4 Likes

a recall has been announced, and the feature will be disabled.

From the article:

Tesla recalls 53,822 cars because they won’t stop at stop signs

Tesla’s 2021.44.30.15 firmware will disable the rolling stop ability. The automaker told the NHTSA that the update would begin being pushed out to cars in early February 2022.

Does this mean we’re redefining “recall”? Not to minimise how dumb the original intent was, isn’t this just a software upgrade and can’t it be done remotely?

15 Likes

Stop me if I’m wrong here but is it not illegal to not come to a complete stop at a stop sign or light? So they programmed their cars to break the law right?

31 Likes

It is…

Laws don’t apply to those who support the great Elon… they are the smart elite, after all… /s

27 Likes

Was Tesla trying to appeal to the drivers in my city?

7 Likes

Well, in California a “rolling stop” is a “stop.” So . . . .

6 Likes

I was once yelled at by a cop for failing to come to a full and complete stop at a 4-way stop before turning right. On my bicycle.

21 Likes

id imagine there’s probably a huge legal loophole because nobody wrote the law considering the idea someone other than the driver was driving. also probably that the driver still selects the option that made it happen

i feel a bit for the qa team who knows self driving won’t work any time soon, yet are given not just one - but three different modes which are all supposed to work flawlessly

the “drive like an entitled asshole” option is just icing. it’s lucky no pedestrians or bicyclists have been killed yet

21 Likes

Why would a self-driving car have any options besides “chill”? Hasn’t that always been a selling point?

20 Likes

Ugh… thing is, the person behind the wheel should still be responsible. It’s their car and despite all the smoke being blown up all these assholes, it’s not an autonomous driving car and never will be.

They have…

25 Likes

20 Likes

I found an interesting article about this. Apparently, as of last year, there had been only one other recall that involved an over-the-air-software update. This recall was from Mercedes and it required a dealer inspection following the update to be considered completed. Reading the recall notice, it seems like this isn’t the case for the current Tesla recall.

2 Likes

Animated GIF

8 Likes

I won’t stop you, but I’ll ask you to slow to 5.6mph.

12 Likes

The NHTSA (or maybe Congress) really needs to seriously update the regulatory system on this stuff. The idea that a car company can release self-driving software under the philosophy of “better to ask forgiveness than permission” is completely unacceptable. This shit needs to be rigorously tested against (yet-to-be-written) clear federal standards and pre-approved before it goes on public roads.

25 Likes

It’s called a recall because the intent is to fix a flaw, but yes the mechanism for sending the update is a remote patch.

10 Likes

Yeah, Jesus, the whole autonomous car program at Tesla is even more fucked up than I realized. (And everything I’d previously read made me facepalm, when it didn’t fill me with actual horror.)

Everyone is talking about the “Trolley problem” with regard to autonomous vehicles, and Tesla is probably programming its cars to deliberately run people over.

Except, you know, legally speaking.

8 Likes

“This software allows selectable moods for the car’s driving style—chill, average, and assertive”

None of those “driving styles” comes anywhere close to describing the only driving style that matters: safe. Like…I don’t want to be on the highway driving next to a chill driver or an average driver or an assertive driver.

8 Likes

I believe, in an event where the ‘car’ killed someone, the driver has been held responsible – because they are still the driver and unless the car DENIED THEIR INPUT, they let it kill someone.

14 Likes

Yet, they are still allowed to test out new features that can kill people, because rich people can do whatever they want in America.

That’s what I thought.

12 Likes