Tesla knew about defects in "self-driving" system

Originally published at: Tesla knew about defects in "self-driving" system | Boing Boing

5 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

18 Likes

22 Likes

Tesla is depending purely on vision to figure out if there is a solid object directly ahead of the car? That might explain the sudden braking going into a tunnel too.

19 Likes

I do recall around 2015 radar being praised for seeing things a person couldn’t, e.g. a cyclist approaching an intersection from behind a hedge. Then radar got dropped with Elno saying things like “if vision is good enough for people…”.

13 Likes

Tesla LIED!!! Well, I never…

Oh My God Omg GIF

15 Likes

Yeah, I think Musk’s been insisting on using only cameras for the self-drive system. Another example of the arrogant nitwit causing trouble by not knowing what he’s talking about, and refusing to listen to the people who do.

18 Likes

Additional information, links:

[…]

Whether Tesla will be found liable in Banner’s case will largely hinge on the testimony of those Autopilot engineers and Tesla’s alleged prior knowledge of the flaw documented in Brown’s death.

We have asked Tesla to comment.

14 Likes

I mean after one cataract surgery my grandma can see. She can operate accelerator and brake pedals, steer, use the horn etc… But she sure as fuck isn’t allowed to drive anymore.

Tesla’s new marketing tagline:

“Our driver assistance is as good as sitting shotgun while you (for some reason) let your 90 year old grandma drive herself to church.”

gtfo

not you nosaj, gtfo Elno

13 Likes

Hell no, Elno!

3 Likes

fickle me, Elmo

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m kind of pissed off that they had the opportunity for sensor fusion with radar & vision and just threw away the radar because of cost. I don’t think much of Elon Musk, but he’s got talented engineers working for him - I’m sure additional data could have helped.

9 Likes

Apparently the original self-driving guidance system used LIDAR plus cameras, but it had issues too, like rain really freaking it out. LIDAR got quietly dropped – cost savings plus no worries about technical difficulties. Win-win!

9 Likes

me , i’m a belt and suspenders type ! visual ( PLUS infrared and ultraviolet ) AND radar ( 2 ( or more ) bands ) AND sonar ( multiple frequencies ) AND lidar ( again , multiple bands ) ,
please
( and , if i could have some of these as visual display retrofits , that might be nice also )

6 Likes

Their camera-only system will handle heavy rain, plus extras like mud, slush, snow, fog…? Now I wonder how good it is at detecting that it’s beyond its limits, alerting the driver, and passing back control.

4 Likes

AND not letting machines that can kill people loose in public, just, you know, generally.

9 Likes

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

7 Likes

“But … but… hundreds of billions of future humans will benefit.”

The “tell” about the real, neoliberal priorities of Longtermist tech billionaires like Musk is that they’re ready and willing to accept involuntary human sacrifices now for their brighter future but will fight tooth and nail in court to keep bereaved family members from getting one dime in compensation for their losses.

“Effective Altruism” (ETA; and its damn-the-torpedoes cousin, “effective accelerationism”) is just the selfish greedpig evil of Ayn Rand with a shiny streamlined digital jetpack strapped to it.

21 Likes
15 Likes

and it lets them steer the charity - rather than say, leave steering to the democratic process of government. since they are the smartest people in the room of course.

6 Likes