Tesla recalls nearly every car it has sold in America

Originally published at: Tesla recalls nearly every car it has sold in America

7 Likes

Oh no!

Anyway…

10 Likes

I wonder what it is like to be an engineer at Tesla and see all your hard work flushed down the toilet by the Marketing Department and your boss making pie-in-the-sky promises.

19 Likes

You revel in the power of the 1A.

12 Likes

Time to sell.

2 Likes

As the updates are software, Tesla can do this over the air and will notify its customers via mail.

In surely-unrelated news, perhaps we shall see an epidemic of suddenly bricked Teslas?

11 Likes

As Roger Bacon’s Brazen head said, “Time is. Time was. Time is past.”

7 Likes

my lugubrious imaginings have this (firmware?) update suddenly happening as the owner is napping while on “auto assist auto driving …auto” (in ‘happy’ recollection of a microsoft system update which utterly took over the machine, rebooted and lost whatever the client was doing at the time)

by the bye, the teslabros are mad that this is still termed a “recall” despite it being done wirelessly [shrug]

10 Likes

‘To continue please enter the unique activation code for your Tesla. This can be found on the underside of the car.’

11 Likes

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Stops to catch breath and wipe tears from eyes

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

7 Likes

I live on top of a hill up some winding steep and narrow streets. When we bought a Model 3 in March 2019 (after reserving in early 2017) , the price for the Autopilot feature was $9000. We were told that our car had all of the necessary features for adding it later. I guessed that it might work on highways and freeways, but most of my driving is in the city with all of its aggressive drivers, double parkers, and delivery trucks. So we decided against buying the Autopilot feature and have seen nothing in the meantime to make me want to add it. As a result, our Tesla is one of those that caused Boing Boing to write a headline saying “Tesla recalls nearly every car it has sold in America.”

I should add that we have been pleased with the car, though I wish that it were 4-5% smaller for our urban environment. How about a Tesla 2.85?

10 Likes

Not a good day for TFG - the FCC has refused to renew a subsidy to Starlink for providing Internet to remote areas. The bureau “followed Commission guidance and correctly concluded that Starlink is not reasonably capable of offering the required high-speed, low-latency service throughout the areas where it won auction support.”

Mr Anti-subsidy (unless he’s the one getting the subsidy) is going to be sulking and whining again.

13 Likes

They’re probably thinking EM is a mindless jerk who will be be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

(Yes, I already used that Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy reference once today, and I don’t see any reason not to use it again)

11 Likes

Isn’t it nice that companies can turn off features you paid for and not provide any refund? I don’t remember Tom Selleck mentioning this when he did those AT&T ads about what we could expect in the future. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZb0avfQme8

7 Likes

… I have heard it reported that “Autopilot” and “Full Self Driving” are two different products that Tesla sells for different amounts of money

11 Likes

… the whole scheme was never safe in any way

If the computers are not ready to take 100% responsibility for the whole trip, they should not be involved in steering at all

Anything that encourages a driver to take their eyes off the road should be illegal :-1:

9 Likes

And yet…

4 Likes

I did a quick Google. Tesla has Base and Enhanced Autopilot. Full Self-Driving is a beta program that isn’t actually full self-driving but when it’s released, years prematurely (I would imagine), I’ll bet you can crunch your own Tesla under a semi that much quicker. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The revolution will be live-streamed and will make me look ten kilos thinner.

5 Likes

Move fast and break things, a la Silicon Valley startups.

3 Likes