Tesla recalls 362k vehicles to remove "Full Self Driving" feature

Originally published at: Tesla recalls 362k vehicles to remove "Full Self Driving" feature | Boing Boing

10 Likes

I smell a lawsuit

21 Likes

Waiting for Musky to say that they never claimed full self driving so he’s recalling no vehicles.

22 Likes

It turns out that a few of them started avoiding small children, and Elon wants to get to the bottom of that.

28 Likes

And the game of 5D chess continues. Grandmaster move, sir! /Muskrat

18 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:
As one of the people involved in the driver safety automation space, this just warms my heart. I remember being gobsmacked by the FSD announcements because “You, you can just announce that you’re fully autonomous and… release that on the public? They let you do that? There can be no possible consequences for this.”

23 Likes

Recall?

Don’t they just downgrade the software over the air? Is that technically still a ‘recall’?

14 Likes

It’s part of how the term is used these days. Whether that makes it technically so or not

pooh shrugs GIF

9 Likes

Shocked Futurama GIF

16 Likes
10 Likes

Yes. Just as my Prius was “recalled” due to faulty floor mats, and another “recall” to fix a software bug.

Authorized service technicians (or wifi, ymmv) will do the actual work, but the standard industry term is that this is a recall.

I’m sure it has to do with legal liability: they issue a recall, send you a letter, if you don’t go to the dealership and get the free fix, then they aren’t responsible if your car explodes (or whatever) because of the problem.

14 Likes

Elon Musk seems to be the exact opposite of Elisha Otis, inventor of the elevator. Otis resisted all attempts to sell his equipment until he perfected the safety mechanisms that are still in use today.

30 Likes

Metaphorical and real car crashes in Musk world.

5 Likes

maybe it’s “recalled” in the sense of, we recalled the fact we sold you a car, and also that we’re not supposed to kill you, so i guess we’ll fix the issue. if we have to.

so … do people get refunds now?

7 Likes

It’s a bug, not a feature.

6 Likes

I remember the airbag recall that stretched out over years because the affected companies had a big problem finding enough acceptable replacements. On the fifteenth hand, we’ve had trouble updating the Tesla software because of issues connecting to wifi (and no, you can’t download the patch to a flash drive and install it that way. We tried.)

10 Likes

It’s a software update that will improve some behaviours of the software. It doesn’t appear to “Remove” any features.

Much ado about very little.

3 Likes

How the fuck does anyone lose 362,000 steering wheels?

Oh, yeah, tesla…

3 Likes

What are your thoughts on keeping the Tesla vs getting a different EV? Not putting you on blast or anything for having a Tesla, just interested in how you feel on it.

6 Likes

Self-driving Features sounds like a Cockney insult, as in, “Oi, you; self-driving features! Whatchew lookin’ at? You want some?!”

10 Likes