Test footage emerges of "Star Wars: Underworld," a TV series that never came to light

No kidding. As I understand it several of the stormtrooper extras in The Mandalorian were fans in their own gear, in fact.

6 Likes

That would explain it. And that would speed things up compared to having a one-camera set-up, too…

Most “Star Warsy” bit IMO. Store troopers not being able to hit a stationary target three feet away is on brand. I assume the other two were ex-storm troopers.

3 Likes

It had a prequel vibe. That’s why it sucked. Give me more Mandalorian.

1 Like

You can barely see anything in those helmets…

1 Like

This will always be my favorite:

13 Likes

Thank you. Thank you, we couldn’t have done this without you.

It’s a newer dialogue, sir, but the Lucas stiltedness checks out…

4 Likes

OK, the shoot-out was pretty bad. But, I like the look and concept of this show. A story of urban life under the Empire might be interesting. With all of the work that already went into this project, I suspect that some of it will be reused in the Mandalorian and the new Rogue One show.

1 Like

It seems, I am in a minority, but the best thing about the prequels for me was Obiwan sleuthing (e.g., the Curoscant diner). I would have loved 3 movies full of Ewan McGregor doing that …

This seems close :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You can practically hear the original pitch: “What if Star Wars, but Blade Runner?”

4 Likes

Basic plot:

“You’re running down an alley in Under Coruscant, being chased by storm troopers. What do you do?”

At least someone had the good idea to think “F*k this, if no one can’t hit anything let’s just use a grenade”.

2 Likes

Hey, they could had Ford play a character named Deckard Solo. Or why not, throw some lost artifact in there, give him a whip, and name him Deckard Solo Jones!

2 Likes

Though in a real battle using a grenade against an adversary who was standing five feet away probably wouldn’t be a good move either.

2 Likes

None of my Halo tactics are applicable to real life… :unamused:

3 Likes

“Police Squad” did it better.

6 Likes

Except as far as I can tell, the guy who throws the grenade is the one who gets blown up.

looks very attack of the clones to me. I much prefer the minimal CGI and spaciousness of the Mandelorian over this kind of cool-dump overkill. Funny to compare it to Blade Runner… it shares a lot of the same type of elements, yet Blade Runner just seemed more tasteful.

There were a ton of great ideas in the prequels (admittedly a few terrible ideas in The Phantom Premise), and stellar design (hyuk) almost exactly matched with wretched screenwriting and direction.

One thing no-one mentioned (maybe because everyone has forgotten about that decade) is the aggressive and transparent anti-Bush messaging in this: “Threat Level Orange!” “Terrorists!”; another carryover from the prequels, with their anti-Republican and corporatist Democrat barbs delivered with Lucasian subtlety. (Weirdly, Wookipedia only gets half the reference.)

1 Like

that was almost as boring as attack of the clones.