Testing the "Show Full Post" button

What the SFP button is “supposed” to do and what we expect it to do seem to differ.

5 Likes

Always.

3 Likes

It’s a short post thing.

I tried that the last time you suggested it and it didn’t work.

Show Full Post yada yada…

But Reader View on Firefox shows the entire post - all the words, all the images.

1 Like

@codinghorror here’s another one:

Blog post:

BBS post:

Here’s how it shows in Chrome:

This is definitely not a short post and has a lot of text.

1 Like

Looks like it’s working now, but I can’t read it because of the damn ellipsis bug keeps making the content go away. :frowning:

3 Likes

yeah, fix the ellipsis bug. I had to go to boingboing.net to read the Trump Golden Showers post, rather than bbs.boingboing.net … clearly a design fault since we are never supposed to emerge from the depths

3 Likes

Indeed. Us CHUDs need to keep a low profile.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 48 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Now that you reopen it… Does anyone else have that thing where SFP inserts the text from someone else’s comment, anywhere from one to five comments below the OP? Seems to only happen to me on mobile, I think. If I encounter it again I’ll post a link here. Seen it happen maybe a dozen times this past month.

2 Likes

Got another one.

Show Full Post shows most of the content, but it misses the actual picture that’s the subject of the story.

The picture that shows up in the Onebox of the article…

… and which also shows up in the Reader View of the article.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve seen that happen a lot. I documented one case up above but it’s not that uncommon. Best I can tell, the articles are still pulling in the “top” comments from the discussion (I’ve no idea how those are determined) but are hidden via the page’s CSS. When the Readability algorithm gets confused on what is actual content it seems to grab the largest of those hidden comments.

2 Likes

@orenwolf
@sam
@codinghorror

The show full post button on the BBS is currently grabbing all of the other “Also look at” posts that appear below each blog post in addition to the actual post it should show.

shows all of this when pressing Show Full Post.

With short posts it’s only showing the additional posts instead of the intended post.

9 Likes

Thanks for documenting this; I noticed the malfunction earlier, but was busy with work.

8 Likes

See

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/homepage-updating-rather-slowing/176884/6

This one is kind of amusing, at least. I’m pretty sure producer David Simon isn’t a marsupial.

9 Likes

Oh, thank goodness, I thought it was just me. (I even posted on it on the star trek thread, then deleted the post.)

6 Likes

This is even better than CardsAgainst BoingBoing!

11 Likes
4 Likes