Texan fatally shoots man for briefly parking in his driveway

I dare anyone to guess the pigment level of this fine American…

5 Likes

He’ll get away with it unfortunately. Once a Texas jury hears that the car was parked in the driveway rather than on the street their “the domain was being threatened” alarm will sound.

4 Likes

The trend in states is to quash these attempts at justice before a jury can even begin to apply common sense. The very definition of privilege.

California has an enormously sensible Castle Doctrine. Almost no one gets prosecuted for shooting an intruder – and rightly. I’m all for armed self-defense, but WTF Texas?

My questions on this case are as follows:

1. Is there any evidence whatsoever (other than the say-so of the murderer) that the victim was actually “parked” anywhere? Rather than just trying to turn around (which is what you have to do if you find yourself driving on a dead-end street)
  2. Is there any evidence whatsoever (other than the say-so of the murderer) that the victim was ever even in the murders driveway?
8 Likes

Over on r/ProtectAndServe the officers often will describe a form of torture or abuse and then say “That is how they taught us in SD Training”. What kills me is that they can tell you every possible way that a person without a weapon could kill them before they even got off a shot. And they can tell you every possible way that someone could defend against their torture or abuse if they didn’t kill them dead. But somehow they never trust that they themselves could have such powers without a gun.

I often come across official looking but nonofficial no parking signs by street spots that anyone can park in. When I lived in a liberal left coast city I would just ignore them. But now that I live in Texas I let them have their spot. If the resident is willing to illegally post that sign, I don’t want to test the limits of their willingness to enforce it.

I did come across a clever one the other day where the format and verbiage was exactly like an official no parking sign, but if you look closely it really says No Dumping instead of No Parking.

2 Likes

plenty of cities have had big spikes in gun violence since covid started. and while austin is already rolling back their police defunding, so is portland… and oregon’s pretty far from texas.

that said guns do deserve to be treated like a health crisis. and i guess we should have known the conservative response to coronavirus – aka please let us kill ourselves and others – because this is exactly their argument on guns as well.

7 Likes

I’ve taught my kids, both driving on their own now, to never pull into someone’s driveway to turn around or look up directions. Just keep driving until there’s a public turn-around.

There are just too many people ready to shoot first in this country, and you don’t know who they are until it’s too late.

12 Likes

Arguably, pulling into the wrong driveway was the most stressful part of my brief stint at being a pizza delivery driver.

9 Likes

It doesn’t help that posing as a lost food delivery person is a method crooks use to excuse their presence while casing for and committing burglaries, which endangers legit food delivery people the same way the CIA posing as journalists does.

1 Like

They still find ways to make me feel like a compete sucker.

3 Likes

I’m in Texas right now.

And I don’t blame you for avoiding it.

4 Likes

Exactly. Thank you.

Even on BB, people immediately take the “facts” as reported by the aggressor at face value and start debating the nuances of whether he was standing his ground or whatever.

For all we know, the guy just marched out into the street and murdered someone because he felt like it and the rest is made up. The automatic credibility that white men get even in woke spaces needs to stop. I’m so weary of it.

11 Likes

Are we reading the same thread? The vast majority of people here are being critical of the shooter, not the driver who died. I don’t think most of us are assuming he was actually acting in self-defense, but that there is probably something shady going on and an innocent man is dead because the shooter as an over entitled sense of “property rights”?

Who is this WE? I certainly have not, so don’t put words in my mouth. Given just how many cases we’ve seen of entirely innocent people being shot by home owners “defending their property”, I’m assuming that he step way over the line and had no reason to shoot the driver, even if he WAS in the drive way.

8 Likes

I think her point was not whether we agreed about the aggressor’s culpability, but that we’d bought into his narrative.

Fine, then questioning whether we (as a conversation) had adequately and explicitly questioned it.

1 Like

Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 22.05. Deadly Conduct

[…]
(b) A person commits an offense if he knowingly discharges a firearm at or in the direction of:
(2) a habitation, building, or vehicle and is reckless as to whether the habitation, building, or vehicle is occupied.
[…]
An offense under Subsection (b) is a felony of the third degree.

1 Like

Critical, yes, of course. But the basic facts of someone being in his driveway and such are taken at face value. The whole scenario, thin though it is, could well be fabricated. People are taking the basic facts of the murderer’s story at face value.

I’m saying we shouldn’t even be doing that.

5 Likes

I honestly don’t think it matters if the driver WAS in his driveway or not. It’s straight up murder.

Fair enough, but as I said, does it really matter if the driver was in the driveway or on the street? Maybe it does under Texas law, but given how shitty the laws are in texas right now, we shouldn’t give that much creedance for making a moral judgement.

snl s reactions GIF

13 Likes

I think the point here is that even the murderer’s own story plays out as him being a murderer.

11 Likes

That’s why I brought it up. People take this shit super seriously and I don’t get it. It’s public property, fucking deal with it.

9 Likes