Texas bans abortion after 6 weeks, even in cases of incest or rape

I’m all ears.

1 Like

The only value for conservative voters is: the cruelty is the point.

Practically all conservatives are taught from early childhood that both they peraonally as well as all of humanity are the evilest scum deserving nothing but death, then imagine what they think evil sinning pregnant mothers deserve.

Religion is a mental poison.

9 Likes

Which in Texas is already pretty much matching third world countries we’ve had the CIA destroy.

2 Likes

that was stupid nbc GIF by The Blacklist

6 Likes

This is not a distraction from other things. It is a directly attack on the rights of women, which is a major goal of the modern GOP, rolling back the rights of women. It would be helpful if people would stop acting as if it’s not a real thing that is really happening to women in this country, as if our rights weren’t directly under threat.

32 Likes

At some level, I’m not sure that the GOP is really ready for the consequences if “the dog finally caught the car.” in this case. It’s fairly easy to be publicly against abortion if you or your daughter can get one if they need one.

6 Likes

Oh, c’mon! Don’t you know that when something bad happens, it’s not god’s fault? But when something good happens… well then.

2 Likes

I completely believe republicans are happy to imprison and execute women, doctors and democrats for supporting or needing abortions. I grew up in the typical religious fundamentalist evangelical republican household.

Conservatism is 100% about getting rid of “those people” and people who get abortions are absolutely part of those others.

12 Likes

Six weeks. . .

So approximately when a woman realizes she’s missed a period and might be pregnant, it’s already too late. And if you’re a very young girl who hasn’t had sex education you may not even figure it out until you start showing.

[ETA: in other words, it’s a full abortion ban, “heartbeat” is a red herring.]

19 Likes

Yep, that’s the point. Republicans want to ruin women and children’s lives. They’ve worked extremely hard for it.

8 Likes

Did you mean to reply to another message? 'Cause I didn’t say anything like that.

2 Likes

For the daughters of wealthy republicans there will always be “vacations” should their owners decide it’s not to breed them yet.

It sounds cynical but IME this is not an inaccurate functional description of the worldview.

21 Likes

I’m honestly not sure having more Women in Texas politics would be enough. Women of the GOP aren’t different and in some cases much worse. There are plenty of people here in San Antonio that are Catholic and Democrats that you can maybe convince of a adding provisions for incest or rape to laws like these.

4 Likes

Yes, the wealthy will always have a way out. Heretofore, the majority of the single issue abortion voters have been anti abortion voters. Being anti abortion has been a simple, low consequence way to get votes. But I suspect that with abortion becoming effectively illegal in parts of the country, that percentage will change, and being anti-abortion will have a higher political cost than it does now.

2 Likes

That’s a feature, not a bug, of this latest law.

15 Likes

In fact, these days incest and rape seem to be traditional Republican values, if not on a participatory then on a spectator level.

2 Likes

This.

1 Like

Fuck the GQP.

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—for ever.”

G. Orwell

3 Likes

Aaaaand… conservative places that pass this sort of BS also tend to be the places where sex ed etc… is intentionally hamstrung.

Coincidence?

2 Likes

They want people to have unsafe sex, but they also want them to regret it. They get off on that.

3 Likes