Texas board of education tries to erase Hillary Clinton from history

what you have to remember is that texas competes with idaho and kansas for who can be the most batshit crazy conservative republican state. somehow, even though the common core initiative was originally pushed, in part, by establishment conservative businessfolks and politicians as a way to guarantee an employee base with similar educational skills across the country, the implementation of it got caught up in the rejection of the establishment by the tea-party republicans which meant, in texas, that for a republican state legislator or governor to avoid being primaried by a tea-party candidate they had to be solidly against the things that the tea-party republicans were against. therefore, the way to demonstrate your credentials regarding common core was to, by god, make that shit illegal. it doesn’t have to make sense to anyone other than the tea-party voters they were trying to appeal to.

10 Likes

9th-doctor-what-really-ugh|nullxnull

Gee… people who come form historically oppressed groups getting into positions of power doesn’t matter… Whatever dude.

12 Likes

Huh!? I certainly don’t think that.

My point was that the decision to remove her is mostly political.

To react like she can be “written out of history” by removing her from one crappy textbook, in a state where hatred for her is alive and well is naive , or disengenous and political itself.

Another stick for the left to chase…

Which is sad for Kansas, really, because a century ago they were considered to be a fine example of high-functioning centrist politics.

6 Likes

Oh I am aware of the political based resistance against it. I was wary of it too until I found out literally everything I had a problem with it wasn’t true. I discovered this when researching for home schooling. Since then I have on multiple occasions challenged people who complained about CC to tell me exactly what they didn’t like about it, and then proceed to knock down every issue. In fact I can’t recall ever hearing a legitimate argument against CC.

And I am from KS and several ex-HS mates are teachers. The Brownback experiment gutted them. It looks like things are swinging back to “normal” but not fast enough.

2 Likes

there really isn’t one but that wasn’t a pointful conversation to have with anyone who jumped on the tea-party bandwagon a few years ago.

good luck with kansas, i’ve been working to help get some democrats i like elected this november for both state and national races.

7 Likes

People get erased from history all the time and have to be rediscovered… the cases of Marsha P. Johnson and Jeremiah Hamilton are relevant.

Again, I’m going to suggest the crazy notion that maybe I know what I’m talking about. I know it’s hard to accept that could possibly be true, but I do know a little bit about how history is written.

No. It’s always a bad a idea. It’s pseudo-science, plain and simple. Taking away people’s choices based on IQ is a horrible idea.

Women have historically been kept out of positions of power, and as such, a woman becoming powerful in our society matters. Just because it makes you personal uncomfortable really doesn’t mean it’s not historically significant. I’ll also suggest that studying the history of women or people of color should be front and center in our history texts.

Well, we can’t let historians do it, cause they clearly don’t know anything about how history works! /s

Yeah, but highlighting women doing something is misandrist! /s

Which is why it shouldn’t have happened and maybe a historian would be in a better position to make such judgements instead of a bunch of partisan hacks?

Glad I could at least say the same fucking thing at least 10 times, and then finally some dudes swooped in to back me up, and now we’re getting some agreement. Glad to know that my decade of hard work is so well respected around here. Thanks for making me feel like it was all worth the pain and the tears…

17 Likes

Valentina Teranova Tereshkova, Yuriy Gagarin, Robert Kennedy, Pat Nixon. Only Gagarin was mentioned in my High School, of all these.

It’s an entirely valid point that you can’t teach everything. But when Helen Keller gets tossed out and Billy Graham shoehorned in… it’s pretty clear the inmates are in charge of the asylum!

Ok I gotta go check my answers. Damn, I was way off on one of those. Spoilerized so others can play!

4 Likes

Well no one else brought that up, but I would say if i had to pick between the two, I’d chose Keller as well.

And you missed one. Dean Rusk was the Secretary of State. Robert Kennedy was Attorney General.

3 Likes

Um… yes I did. I mentioned that her erasure is also about ignoring people with disabilities and their contributions…

12 Likes

OK, sorry I missed that. I agree with you on that.

1 Like

Lots of people seem to be missing what I’m saying today… er, and yesterday. Par for the course.

14 Likes
1 Like

Would you also consider nuking from orbit Indiana? After all, it gave us Mike Pence.

Texas gave us Molly Ivins.

1 Like

Just the board of education building. Or better yet, get them out of Austin on an all-expenses-paid retreat at a desert resort. A tactical nuke will do fine.

3 Likes

Rest in peace and unremembered, Victoria Woodhull, Charlene Mitchell, and Tonie Nathan.

2 Likes

IIRC Texas can be split into 5 different states.

1 Like

That article is seriously misinformed. What happens in Texas can stay in Texas. Since the early aughts virtually every textbook publisher has had digital publishing. This means that states can customize their textbooks to their heart’s content.

Here’s a piece that pre-dates the article you cite:

http://www.nea.org/archive/39060.htm

"Jay Diskey, executive director of the Association of American Publishers’ School Division, says fears of a Texas-style national social studies curriculum are overblown because publishers are more accustomed nowadays to producing customized textbooks for different states. "

So, the whole thing sucks, yes. But it can be contained to Texas.

Can I appreciate the dedication and effort required to become a doctor and a historian and enjoy reading someone’s posts and perspective and support equal rights for all people without endorsing an appeal to authority argument?

Because I’ve met some incredibly ignorant PhDs, including a world famous one who routinely engaged in extreme sexual harrassment. I’d rather judge on accuracy and my perception of intent than on a sheepskin.

And while I wouldn’t celebrate the Texan textbook selectors all being struck down by lightning, I’d be relieved, and secretly amused.

i’m with you on that,

allow me to quote myself from above –

7 Likes