Texas Buzzsaw Botox Burglar: Woman grinds into clinic to steal anti-aging cosmetics

If the Botoxed lips are not enough of a disguise.

FaceOff_(1997_film)_poster

2 Likes

Just please don’t put circular saw blade on it. It fits and cuts wood very well, but it can kick unexpectedly and cut operator just as well, including grievous harm like severing leg artery. Don’t ask me how I know.

3 Likes

Anybody with a bike lock should be aware that like nothing on the market will survive a minute with a battery powered angle grinder.

4 Likes

Go for the higher quality discs and wheels tho. Less likely to come apart in your face, and last much longer (not to mention cutting better with less heat).

They can be pretty dangerous as already noted, so don’t abuse it, and do not use near anything dangly… (as a metalworking friend of mine found out the hard way one day leaning over to get a better look with a thin strand of his long hair not in a ponytail tucked into his jacket…)

So she had the saw/grinder at hand,
Yet no concern at all about other minutiae of her crime? No gloves, no mask, no bag, no concern about cameras at all, drive your own car, park right out front and all that
And no SAFETY GOGGLES! Jesus.

2 Likes

vanitas vanitatum, omnia vanitas
Reminds me of a recent Canadian news story about a woman called Dr. Lipjob who was doing under the table botox and tissue filler injections. I was wondering where she was got her botox from cuz she ain’t no doctor of anything.

1 Like

It looks to me like she didn’t actually cut the lock with the saw, the last bit of the video shows her removing a big piece of broken glass. I think she got tired of trying to cut the lock and just smashed the glass with the saw.

1 Like

Once again Texass proves it is craptacular.

Can’t read that headline with a straight face.

6 Likes

I gotta say, Boingboing featured videos tend to lead me into the seedier parts of youtube.

1 Like

It’s Like a Pressure Wash for Your Brain’s Insides!

2 Likes

Ah, my thought is that she does not need to disguise herself. Yoga mom, silver mercedes SUV, in Sugarland? Pfft, good luck finding her amongst all the OTHER Yoga mom’s with silver mercedes SUV’s. That is the PERFECT M.O. for pulling off a heist like that in that area. Add in the botox she may self-administer and you have one tough case to crack.

4 Likes

Interesting side effect of better Li-Ion battery tech.

I was also astoundinated by how easy it is to break pretty much every basic heavy motorcycle chain + lock with just a long prybar. Archimedes is a hell of a drug. :globe_with_meridians:

Looks like that Granit Extreme 59 U lock that did best in the video is around $150 for the 10 inch version.

1 Like

The downside of breaking chains with a lever is you may damage the bike in the process. Not so bad for a motorcycle, but it’s pretty easy to completely ruin a pedal bike with just one dented/smashed tube.

2 Likes

They also mentioned noise is a serious disincentive for cutting attacks, the longer it takes to cut through, the less likely they’ll stick with it due to the risk.

They failed to mention her real crime, parking across three parking spots!

And, as @bgraves points out, she didn’t actually use the grinder to get in. She broke the window.

Fake update:

The suspect was apprehended when she entered the Sugarland Police HQ on Wednesday, stomped up to the main desk, and announced, “You need to get your facts straight when you send out your BOLOs! I’m 29!”

2 Likes

I think the noise factor is overstated IMHO. So long as nobody is actively watching over your shoulder who is going to run over to investigate a grinding sound that lasts for only 30-60 seconds? The sparks draw more attention, but even then you’re gone so quick it hardly matters. Plus the sounds tend to be high pitched so they don’t travel very far.

Would passersby react appropriately?

I once saw someone in the wall-mart garden venue pass boxes underneath the fence. I thought it was peculiar, and with that… my sense of duty was gone.

What would be the appropriate action for a passerby? They can call the cops and give a description, but what are the odds the cop is going to follow up on that? There’s almost no chance the cop will arrive in time to catch the guy in the act unless he’s literally just around the corner and the dispatcher is really on their toes.

Physically assaulting the guy with the angle grinder is probably not a great idea either. Those things cut through flesh in an instant, and even if he’s not intending to hurt anybody if you surprise him it can go anywhere.

2 Likes

Apparently the tracking is quite a production in the pre-dilution stage. I’d be curious if there are obstacles to re-purifying the dilute stuff to useful levels(thermal damage, bacteria degrading the active ingredient?) or whether there is a level of diversion that would attract the urgent attention of the feds, though not so much the DEA…

Given the level of dilution, I’d assume that nobody gets too touchy over a few doses; but I can imagine that systematic-looking theft might attract more attention than some other property crimes of similar magnitude.

1 Like