Texas considers allowing students to carry guns at public universities

[Permalink]

Fuckit. Let 'em do it. I will be saying, “I told you so,” later.

What are you still doing here? Go. Shoo. Have fun.

4 Likes

What could possibly go wrong?

4 Likes

It’s Texas. I think they should hand out handguns at registration. Include laser sites so they also have the opportunity to burn each others corneas out.

1 Like

I’m rather surprised it’s not allowed now.

3 Likes

I could be wrong, but I thought there was a big push for this from university students and will only affect public universities.

It was almost 5 years ago that there was an armed student running around campus who blew his brains out in one of the libraries. The full security parade came out and closed everything down. I think this possible law is in reaction to that.

Brian buys booze in Texas

3 Likes

As someone from a country whose universities attract a lot of foreign students, I think the Texas proposal is an excellent move and the admiral is a killjoy. All US universities should prevent campus shootings by requiring all students to carry guns on campus at all times. Especially when drunk or on drugs, when they are more likely to be victims of attack.

And when the vice-Chancellors of Oxford, Cambridge and UCL think it through, I’m sure they will agree with me.

8 Likes

Will they be calling Charles Whitman to the witness stand?

3 Likes

Florida too Controversial campus guns bill advances in Senate

1 Like

Oh, come now, it’s TEXAS. I’m actually surprised that carrying a gun on campus isn’t already mandatory.

3 Likes

The bill’s author mentions students being concerned about the ability of protect themselves, in addition to the standard bit about God-given rights.

From the AP source the article links, though, the bill was strongly supported by gun rights groups but panned by “most student groups and key leaders of Texas’ top colleges”. I think a citation is needed to say this is something anyone has been calling for beyond the usual suspects.

What bothers me about this is that if it’s a “public” university, why is the state rather than the public saying what they think is “allowed”?

Aren’t there states that already do this? I swear I remember that state universities in Utah at least allow (or cannot prohibit) licensed concealed carry in school facilities.

2 Likes

You can bash some over the head with a book. So if guns arent’t allowed then logically books should be banned too. Or some other fucked up crazy ass senseless shit stain of a statement.

2 Likes

Hmmmm, I wonder if some enterprising student loan servicers will offer different interest rates based on whether or not a student decides to carry…

Just noticed that the ad I get displayed on this page is for a “Concealed Carry Report - Know Your Rights”. I thought it was an ironic illustration for the post at first…

In the middle ages university students were allowed to carry swords, too. You never know when you have to fight off those filthy townies after all.

3 Likes

I found a Daily Texan article that states UT Austin does not want it, but Texas A&M is in favor of it.

1 Like