Texas cop suspended for body slamming 12-year-old girl onto concrete

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Here’s a joke in return!

16 Likes

I live in what many consider to be a ‘bad’ neighborhood. The only time I ever fear for my safety is when I see a cop.

10 Likes

I disagree. Kids need to learn police are untrustworthy, lying, aggressive, trigger-happy thugs who will beat, maim, or kill you without warning, provocation, or fear of being held accountable for their actions, and you should avoid them. That’s an important lesson for kids to learn early.

12 Likes

I assume that is tongue in cheek to a degree, but that attitude doesn’t help anything. Perpetuating the “us vs them” mentality won’t make anything better. It will make it worse. Any cop who already has this feeling, even subconsciously, will have it re-enforced with every interaction confirming this.

I would agree about avoiding them when possible. Though sometimes you NEED help. Other times you just end up crossing paths. But their attitudes and actions differ greatly depending on what region of the US, and even rural, vs small town, vs big city.

I am curious though, if you are serious about them being “trigger-happy thugs who will beat, maim, or kill you without warning, provocation, or fear of being held accountable for their actions”, what actions do you advise if they do happen to be forced into an interaction? Personally, polite 110% compliance is what I would recommend. Kinda like keeping your head down around bullies.

2 Likes

“When you’re a Jet/ you’re a Jet all the way”

3 Likes

As a compromise between, on one hand, getting them off the street immediately and necessitating removing them from anywhere they could influence an investigation, and on the other hand the nature of their jobs meaning cops need to be investigated fairly often. We really don’t want to have police afraid to get involved in a situation because they’re afraid it might result in them not making this month’s rent.

In cases like this, the period between “suspended with pay” and “out on his ass” should ideally be pretty swift.

3 Likes

No no no!! What if they were fighting the Tournament Of Death against Prince Barin, but they were allowed to use light sabers and longswords, and the cop was tied to one of the Hawkmen and his taser only had one shot left, so what if HE shot Prince Barin with his taser, and then asked the girls to murder the Hawkmen instead, but only the Hawkmen had halberds and they were able to damage the girls’ light sabers so that they had to steal the taser from the cops after killing all the Hawkmen…wait, where was I?

Geeze, hypotheticals are hard!

3 Likes

That sometimes works. Unless they start yelling “Hand on up! Stay where you are! DON’T MOVE! GET ON THE GROUND! I SAID DON’T MOVE! IF YOU DON’T GET ON THE GROUND I’LL SHOOT! IF YOU MOVE I’LL SHOOT! GET ON THE GROUND, DON’T MOVE! PUT THE GUN DOWN! GIVE ME THE GUN!”

Yeah. Stop hitting yourself.

110% compliance may be the best short-term solution. But it only makes the problem of authoritarian jackwagons worse in the long run. It makes them expect complete coincidence for everything they say no matter how illogical or illegal.

5 Likes

If they are really as described above, you’re fucked either way.

If they aren’t like as described above, compliance will probably keep you safe.

I can’t trust anyone who can shoot me dead for no reason in broad daylight with video recording and eye witnesses, who will then go on to be reinstated on the force. Which pretty much always happens when cops kill in such a way.

8 Likes

Basically, what this latest in a long string of documented incidents of excessive force and brutality tells me is that it’s going to take the child of someone white, rich and famous (ie someone “important”) getting killed by a cop on camera before any real consequences happen to that particular cop.

SMFH

13 Likes

Slamming someone’s head into concrete, adult or child, is an attack that is very likely to result in brain damage and/or death. One-punch kills are a routine occurence in street fights; knocked over, struck head on concrete, dies.

(and it did cause brain damage in this case; the girl was knocked unconscious)

“Failure to immediately comply in a non-life-threatening situation” can never justify this use of force. Adult or child.

21 Likes

“out on his ass” “imprisoned for illegally assaulting a child”

12 Likes

No, not for anyone who isn’t white.

It’s called reality, my friend.

Uh, hello? This mentality exists because the police are the ones perpetuating, enforcing, and expanding it.

Tell that to the families of Alex Nieto, Eric Garner, Sureshbhai Patel, Stanislav Petrov, and the hundreds of other people brutalized, maimed, and murdered by police.

14 Likes

thank you

19 Likes

now we see the violence inherent in the system

5 Likes

I agree that minorities, the poor, and especially blacks are unfairly targeted by police. I also agree there are many cases where people were shot for zero reasons. I also agree that some forces have ingrained issues with racism.

But while we see too many examples of bad cop behavior, they are eclipsed by arrests (even ones not justified) where the suspect is not manhandled, abused, or killed.

I disagree that it is only one side perpetuating the “us vs them” mentality. And even if it was only one side, two wrongs don’t make a right.

My question then to you is what is your advice, such as in the Talk illustrated below your post?

7 Likes
2 Likes