Texas county commissioner candidate's election ad is pretty great

At least we didn’t try to build the cars ourselves. You know, the way the city wrote it’s own control and guardrail switch software…

4 Likes

Ewww. I don’t know if it was a fluke, but my one visit to Ruby’s was not good. I was more of a Rudy’s man myself.

I was in Austin until last December. Ruby’s is still there, along with other neighborhood icons - Spiderhouse, Milto’s, Dirty Martin’s - though student high-rise condos are shouldering in. Toy Joy packed up and moved to cheaper digs in a lower downtown location. Weird that the real estate would be cheaper for a much newer and sleeker storefront.
The last I heard, the Hole-in-the-Wall was packing it in because University Ave extortion rent was becoming too much to handle.

Again? (It’s not their first rodeo)

I think so.

The article I read had the owner stating that same “not the first time” stance, but if I remember correctly, he was comparing the latest rent hikes to outright extortion, and that there was no way to run the club model and be able to stay afloat paying those prices.
There was a lot of turmoil last year with longtime businesses ducking out (Texadelphia) and large chains moving in (that Dutch wrap restaurant that ends with -kap? whose name I can’t remember).
Street constuction, storefront facelifts, etc.
I think when the dust settles, University Avenue will look a great deal more corporate.

Didn’t know about Texadelphia.

Sadly that’s been the trend for more than 25 years. I’m sure it’s become progressively(?) worse, but a sign of things to come (at least, since I started school there in '88) was when the Texas Theater closed, and Tower Records moved into its spot (1990; the old mural was in the original version of Slacker but I’m pretty sure this scene was removed in the nationwide release). About 7 years later, Les Amis closed, and a Starbucks was built in its place. Etc., etc.

(A guy I knew who had actually grown up in Austin – not just moved there for college, like me – thought the big change occurred in 1995 or so, when the new phone books came out – before that, it was only one book.)

Are you thinking of Verts Kebap? I’ve eaten at one, but not in Austin. I think it’s Turkish by way of Berlin.

Yes. That’s the one.
Huh. I always thought it was by way of Netherlands.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.