Texas indicts '3D gun guy' Cody Wilson for child sexual assault, 'Defense Distributed' founder faces 20 years in prison

Im hoping this thread is about facts and accuracy, and not veiled attempts to undermine the law or extol a rapist.

8 Likes

It wouldn’t be the first or last time that happened here on BB. Many threads about sexual consent or sexual equality (or anything even marginally sexual in nature, for that matter) end up going to complete shit.

10 Likes

He’s a white male with money in America. It doesn’t seem odd to me at all.

11 Likes

Par for the course, in fact.

12 Likes

You could say that was my passive/subtle way of saying the same thing. Thought about editing my comment to make it more direct but i got sidetracked at work.

6 Likes

In all seriousness, I don’t see his hero-worshipper gun owners holding this against him. They’ll come up with excuses… or believe that none are needed. Such is the culture.

6 Likes

His dad is a successful lawyer, so we’re probably not going to get the good stuff.

Bonus is this brand new post on his dad’s lawfirm website

3 Likes

“Asking for a friend’s son.”

6 Likes

Does it fucking matter?

13 Likes

Do you have any reason to believe he made an effort to seek out someone who WASN’T under the age of consent?

“Blaming the child” is a pretty pathetic defense.

18 Likes

Oh, but you know how those wimmins lie to get men to pay for shit… some learn it early! /s

Why am I not surprised that this thread is a shit show?

13 Likes

Moreover, most states require liquor stores to card for anyone who appears to be under 30, not because it’s illegal to sell alcohol to 29 year-olds, but because if their negligence results in them selling it to someone who is under the state’s legal age limit, they’re still responsible. Ignorance is no excuse for criminal behavior.

14 Likes

“I’m the REAL victim here!” —Some creep who just paid to have sex with a child

18 Likes

That’s about the gist of it. But as an added wrinkle age of consent based charges would be State. Most of the age of majority based ones I mentioned are federal.

It’s common in these cases to charge and convict (or plead out) state level charges first. Then hand things off for non-double jepardy triggering charges at the federal level. A previous conviction bumps up the sentencing minimums. And many of the minimums for various child sexual exploitation laws are startlingly low. It’s not uncommon for habitual predators to end up with no jail time and avoid sex offender registries when you can only get a single charge through.

So charges are stacked, and split across jurisdictions to maximize jail time/minimize future contact with kids.

5 Likes

To quote that imminent sage, Sandor ‘the Hound’ Clegane, “Experience.”

13 Likes

From the link @anon86154871 posted above, it looks like his lawyer dad has already accepted that Texas’ case is strong enough that junior is going have trouble avoiding sex offender registries back home in Arkansas, let alone in Austin.

7 Likes

Only in court. I’ll form my opinions based on whatever strikes me as relevant.

I’d be willing to bet a few dollars that he did. Luckily the justice system has a process for figuring these things out that is pretty fair to white men with money to hire lawyers, so I don’t have to fret needlessly that he won’t be given a chance to explain himself.

But it’s funny what we choose to pay attention to. When and adult is accused of having sex with a child under 17 our first thought might be, “Wait, under 17? How old?” It might be “I hope the kid is alright!” It might be “Maybe he has a good excuse.”

12 Likes

While I don’t want to seem to wish a blight on Arkansas, I’d be glad if he left Austin and never came back.

6 Likes

Well, unless the child is a straight cis male and the adult a gay man. Then the peanut gallery discovers ethics faster than a shanghaied pirate. Curious how that works.

16 Likes

Reading between the lines of his father’s law firm post, that will likely happen. The minute he gets out of prison he’ll be whisked away out of Texas to a state or two where he doesn’t have to register, before going back to Arkansas where dad can fix things for him permanently.

5 Likes