Texas judge orders prison to provide inmates with safe drinking water

Investigations like the one Mother Jones undertook can lead to criminal charges and is likely to lead to civil suit. So, to cover their asses before any paperwork is filed, they will not publically acknowledge any wrongdoing. It’s a legal strategy intended for a court of law rather than the court of public opinion. It does make it look like they’ve been breaching their contract, though, and could lead to political consequences in states that are taking a harder look at the true financial cost of private operators.

6 Likes

I know I can’t quit you.

2 Likes

I didn’t know I was legally required to go if I hadn’t committed a crime.

Frankly I already knew that response was coming and personally when elderly people die in my city every year from heat stroke because they don’t have a working air conditioner or can’t pay for it I’m much more sympathetic to them than people who have broken the law.

Be careful your privilege is showing, not all of us blue collar folks get to work in such luxury.

Thought the same thing when I read it. To my ears, it sounded a lot like a CCA official was simply yelling over the reporter’s questions, “ANYTHING BAD IN THAT ARTICLE IS STUFF WE MOSDEF DON’T DO, BUT MAYBE DON’T LOOK ANY DEEPER THAN OUR STATEMENT.”

The point I was attempting to make earlier: People with shitty jobs can, at least, quit their shitty jobs and remove themselves from shitty conditions. People in prison or jail cannot simply walk out because the conditions are not to their liking. They have zero choice in their living conditions.

4 Likes

well maybe they should have thought of that before buying that weed for their mawmaws glaucoma

4 Likes

Be careful, your assumptions are showing.

6 Likes

Wow, so is yours. How about that?

2 Likes

http://www.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=60852

1 Like

Well, that’s not humane either, but at least technically those people are there under a voluntary agreement in return for wages. A union is what they need, but we all know what Murica thinks of them…

4 Likes

I so wish I wasn’t out of likes right now.

1 Like

Several people have replied to me that the difference between the inmate and a blue collar worker is the fact the employee can simply get another job. Everyone does realize the type of person I’m talking about correct? I work with these people everyday, there is no indoor comfortable job they could be doing that would earn them nearly as much as they make now welding in full gear in a +95F factory. Even with the mythical $15/hr minimum wage they are far better off working in the factory. If there was a better job don’t you think they would have tried for it, and even then there aren’t that many good paying jobs to go around.

You all are right that the inmate can not leave, but more than likely at some point in their lives they made some series of bad choices that did lead to them being in their current situation. In the end the inmate and worker aren’t that dissimilar, they both can’t leave one for legal reasons and the other financial.

Like, say, selling the dried buds of a plant that make you giggle and order extra-large pizzas.

9 Likes

Your hyperbole doesn’t help the cause. About 29% of prisoners at Andersonville died in four years. Survivors looked like this:Andersonville Prison - Wikipedia

1 Like

That’s fair, but the MJ revelations do show that horrible things are happening in a wide swath of American prisons that are being, for the most part, batted away as either a problem that’s not worth solving, or one that isn’t a problem because it deals with criminals and American vengeance says tough shit to cries of empathy or reasoning.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.