Texas lawmaker introduces bill chastising Texans for using the Chilean flag emoji

ISO 3166-2 (defines prinicipal subdivisions of all countries in ISO 3166-1). but to make it a complete set someone has to create some 4000 emojis ; )

I try to have a party but have you any idea how hard it is to get Lone Star or Shiner beer here in Tokyo?

2 Likes

erm, no. this is simply not true. from the beginning of the party (named DAP, not even renamed to NSDAP) most of the financial backers were businessmen. the left wing of the party (lead by Strasser and Röhm) was removed shortly after Hitler became chancellor.

4 Likes

I watched a lot of Formula 1 during the 90s. I probably know the German and Italian national anthems better than the British one

2 Likes

I still can’t remember my own, but it’s also used very sparingly and not very good, frankly. Land der Berge, Land der Ströme, something something Dome, something something Töchter, Söhne. Since the original version only used “sons” and got fixed recently.

Which brought an odd memory back to me - many years ago, when I watched Star Trek TNG every afternoon, it was preceded by Seventh Heaven for a while. Now I never watched that show, but sometimes I caught the end of some episodes. One of them seemed to be about a son not knowing the national anthemn and the father being totally devastated by that, until he finally got the son to learn it. I always thought this fixation on symbols so weird.

1 Like

same here. “Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit / lalala”.

The only honest anthem is the one of Ankh-Morpork.

5 Likes

You bastards stole the instrumental part though. It’s the Kaiserhymne for Franz II./I., the goddamn founder of the austrian empire, by Joseph Haydn. Never really understood the rationale behind that.

If anyone should have the right to be upset about the use of the Chilean flag as a substitute for the Texas state flag it should be the Chileans. It’s their national flag being misused and subjected to disparaging comments from some Texan lawmaker.

8 Likes

The British one isn’t good either.

Every few years there is a call for a seperate English national anthem, because Scotland and Wales have them but England just uses God save the Queen, the same as Britain. It usually ends up with Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory as clear favourites.

2 Likes

That was a false Freddie!

3 Likes

It was the fault-uh of the government-uh!

1 Like

Clearly you’ve never seen the Texas legislaure in action. They get an entire 2 years of legislating and budgeting done in 180 days (unless it’s of such critical importance as gerrymandering to increase republican districts or “reducing the shockingly dangerous practice of abortion” in which they hold a special session). Something like ~5000 bills get proposed but unless the member either gets an emergency ruling to put it at the head of the list or they use their 1x a sitting “I want this” prioritization, they’re pretty much dead in the water.

Texan by Residence, Skeptic/Cynic by experience.

3 Likes

This being the BBBBS, most people just want to be outraged and have a chance to look down their noses at others. Why bother knowing about the world class opera company, museums, universities, popular and classical musicians, artists, writers, high tech, film, long history of a wide variety of immigrant groups, great “domestic” beer, blah blah blah.

1 Like

I though that was settled?

http://news.bfnn.co.uk/vindaloo-by-fat-les-announced-as-englands-new-national-anthem/#

3 Likes

Liechtenstein’s is good.

3 Likes

I have to go there on business sometimes. I don’t feel fully safe, and constantly monitor my speech to make sure I don’t set off anyone’s prejudices too much (other than just by being). Meanwhile, if I want to go to the opera, museums, universities, music concerts, or fine art films, or interact with a diversity of people, or drink good beer, there are literally thousands of other places in the country to do that, many of which are significantly less dangerous for outsiders.

I never Godwin, so let’s go for it: Nazi Germany was a great time for listening to symphonic/operatic composers like Wagner. Whoo-hoo.

Arts and culture are not enough, in themselves, if the socio/economic/political climate is dangerous to a significant percentage of the population.

8 Likes

We’re doing something a little crazy at our concert next week, including having many people start singing a national anthem of their choosing, over which the last song of the night will start and then we all switch over to join in to that. (Not sure it’s going to work…we’ll see at dress rehearsal!) Anyway, thanks for the heads-up; I’d like to pick something off the beaten track, and the national anthems from my own countries of origin are either too common (Canada, for example) or too hard for me to learn quickly!

3 Likes

Try listening to it first…

4 Likes

Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła, kiedy my żyjemy…

1 Like

Oh, hell!

6 Likes