Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick says God is the founding father of America "He wrote the Constitution."

Why didn’t he kill himself for the economy?

22 Likes

You know, if the constitution were the word of God, that would mean amendments are mortal attempts to correct it and thus extremely questionable. Things like the second amendment, which is getting a lot of people killed through its radical reinterpretation, and the first, which I think helps a lot in keeping Nazis like this out of jail.

25 Likes

or Ice Cube?

8 Likes

“God created everything that I personally agree with, which includes the Constitution and selected amendments, but not the things that I disagree with, which includes the 13th, 15th and 19th Amendments. Also, the Establishment Clause of the 1st Amendment … heck, maybe the whole of the 1st … in fact, everything in the Bill of Rights except the 2nd Amendment is clearly Satan’s work. God never intended people to have actual rights that couldn’t be taken away by a properly God-fearing government. That’s obvious.”

23 Likes

Our money spells it out: “ In God We Trust “

18 Likes

He wrote the amendments too.

Except this brings up the question: He couldn’t get it right the first time?

19 Likes

There is a precedent. You may have heard of a little something called the New Testament.

15 Likes

Old Testament too-- see: Noah’s Ark. “Fuck it. I’ll just destroy all this shit and start over. Oh, wait, I’ll keep this one family and these animals though.”

13 Likes

Maybe Opus Dei. We haven’t really heard from them in a long time.

5 Likes

If asked, I would turn down anything from that fridge. Too many questions.

16 Likes

The Treaty of Paris begins:

It having pleased the Divine Providence to dispose the Hearts of the most Serene and most Potent Prince George the Third, by the Grace of God, King of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, Duke of Brunswick and Lunebourg, Arch- Treasurer and Prince Elector of the Holy Roman Empire etc… and of the United States of America, to forget all past Misunderstandings and Differences that have unhappily interrupted the good Correspondence and Friendship which they mutually wish to restore; and to establish such a beneficial and satisfactory Intercourse between the two countries upon the ground of reciprocal Advantages and mutual Convenience as may promote and secure to both perpetual Peace and Harmony…

so “god” has historically been blamed and credited with all manner of things, often to the detriment of the ordinary citizen.

8 Likes

Chances are it’s all Diet Coke’s just in case the orange one stops by. /s?

10 Likes

even genesis can’t figure itself out [1]: first god creates plants, animals, and lastly people. later: it’s one person, then plants and animals, and ends by dividing people into sexes. ( really even the gods are different: elohim vs yahweh.) and that’s all before peter gabriel quit the band [2].

how can anybody trust something that wishywashy?

17 Likes

“No, proper names are capitalized and that country starts with a C. You know, none of the world leaders need me to do this.”

6 Likes

It’s a sobering thought that, between Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick, Abbott shines out far and away as the “smart” one.

6 Likes

I’m assuming this is him playing the religion card because he is absolutely aware that once he is no longer Lt Governor the oddly-stalled cases against him will start up and he’s hoping to get a few more voters out there to save him?

8 Likes

The Abrahamic god is, yes. Gaslighting, abusive, strick-father-type, too.

@sdmikev: gross. Sorry.

@petzl: neither are in contention for winning the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions.

11 Likes

No apology necessary. I also think it’s gross.
I also don’t get it. I mean, she’s been SUPER religious her whole life in all the most weird ways, but also very kind and considerate, etc… I have to be honest, given what complete degenerate Trump is, I was a little shocked that she was a fan. My dad (her brother) pretty much stopped talking to her, particularly when he started getting bombarded with crazy conspiracy emails. I think he told me back in early 2021 that she even went so far as to tell him that Trump was really still president…
So… yea.

11 Likes

Jesus, “Stop it, just stop it, your orange sack of shit!”

16 Likes

God needs to do some better vetting of Their local franchise operators.

16 Likes