Texas Lt. Gov's $1MM bounty pays off by catching a Republican who voted twice

Originally published at: Texas Lt. Gov's $1MM bounty pays off by catching a Republican who voted twice | Boing Boing

18 Likes

Every

single

time.

73 Likes

Honestly this is the only part of the story that surprised me—that they actually made good on the offer.

70 Likes

Progressive poll worker Erik Frank seems pretty happy about it.

Frank said. “This kind of blew up in their face.”

74 Likes

Why’d he get only $25k? I thought I read it was $1 million.

Also, what a f*cked up way of spending campaign money. If my candidate, to whom I donated cash, pulled this kind of stoopid stunt, that would be the end of that. I guess Dan Patrick didn’t want to pony up his own money, but somebody else’s. That’s so repub.

41 Likes

Three years, suspended. That’s rough. Meanwhile…

43 Likes

So he admits to committing voter fraud and gets probation while Crystal Mason accidentally commits voter fraud and gets five years. Texas! :man_facepalming: :man_shrugging:

58 Likes

Pee Wee Herman Bicycle GIF

19 Likes

Can I get the rest of that million dollars for guessing the key difference between Ralph Thurman and Crystal Mason?

40 Likes

I guess it’s a little obvious to point out that $25,000 is quite a bit shy of $1 million. Why didn’t they give him the rest, I wonder?

10 Likes

My guess is that (they’ll argue) the intent was to have $1M to pay out all incidents of voter fraud. Effectively, that they budgeted $1M to pay people for tips leading to convictions. At that rate, they’d run out of cash after paying bounties to 40 convictions.

17 Likes

also rosa ortega who got 8 years:

what’s interesting is that only the white dude intentionally committed an illegal act… so i guess as long as you mean to break the law, it’s basically okay

42 Likes

I live in Texas. No report/editorial of the incident I read identified the offender as a Republican. They were all written by Republicans who touted that “The new system is proving what we claimed!”

21 Likes

Hmm… So “Crystal Mason” (google image her), and “Rosa Ortega”, and “Ralph Thurman”… Two of these things are not like the other (remember the sesame street ditty?).

Oh yeah, the two who were sent to jail were women who also happen to coincidentally not be white (and did it accidentally), but Ralph Turnbull (a white male Trump voter who committed voter fraud intentionally) only gets probation? Man, I hope Ortega and Mason have $ for lawyers to appeal their convictions.

18 Likes

They may catch other republicansvoters later and need to repeat this.

5 Likes

Texas GOP: We’re so desperate to prove voter fraud that we’ll pay $1MM for evidence

Random person: Here’s evidence that a Republican voted twice

Texas GOP: no not like that

…Offered $1MM. Paid out $25k. I guess the Texas GOP considers voter fraud by Republicans to be only 2.5% as serious as voter fraud by Democrats.

17 Likes

Does the GOP even have a petard that isn’t self-hoisting?

20 Likes

What I was going to say. Fucking fucknugget fuck nuts.

8 Likes

And who pays for this? Oh, yeah — Texas citizens.

4 Likes

It’s a bit surprising, but this supports the Republican narrative, so they have an incentive to pay out and trumpet it. They’ll not mention that it was a Republican who did it of course, the important thing is that even progressives admit there was voter fraud! Fraud that could have been prevented by [draconian anti-voting law]! Never mind it was only one case.

I’m not so sure it did.

And… color me unsurprised.

6 Likes