Texas man accused of slipping abortion drugs in pregnant wife's drinks

I mean, it was his baby. She was his wife. She was just the incubator, right? (Emphasis on possession of objects)

20 Likes

The Office Yes GIF

16 Likes

If Texas is going to argue that the fetus is a person, why isn’t he being charged with attempted murder?

15 Likes

How many Texans get to sue him for their $10k under the Texas Heartbeat Act? Though they may want to wait until (hopefully) she divorces him so that he has to come up with the full $10k per person himself.

This is a civil matter by design, so while I’m not a lawyer I assume double jeopardy doesn’t apply as long as the same person doesn’t sue him twice.

11 Likes

His defence is easy. He just has to say he felt threatened by the fetus and he can invoke Texas’ Stand Your Ground law.

/s obvs

9 Likes

This was bound to come up sooner rather than later. Behind the Texas law (and most anti-abortion laws) is the unspoken assumption that regardless of the circumstances the woman is always the instigator of, and therefore “guilty” of, the abortion. True, the doctor performing the procedure and various people who aided the woman would be charged too, but they are mere accessories. A woman is raped and aborts the fetus? The rapist enjoys the higher moral ground. Herschel Walker demands a woman get an abortion and pays for it? No big deal, she was the one who had the abortion. It’s always the woman’s fault.

In this case the woman clearly did not seek an abortion and in fact didn’t know her husband was trying to force one upon her. Under the Texas definition the dude is guilty of attempted murder. But he’s a man, and I suspect he’ll get off with a misdemeanor of some kind and will be free to continue to abuse his wife. On the other hand I suspect that if the fetus had not survived, the woman would have been badgered and interrogated under the assumption that somehow she was responsible for her husband’s actions.

11 Likes

To a degree you’d never have guessed was possible without it happening. :frowning:

17 Likes

Holy shit!! That is abysmally horrible! Wow, I need a drink…

10 Likes

8 Likes

very fortunately, the prosecutor decided to drop the case. not that it should ever have been a question.

11 Likes

It’s fascinating how it is possible to simultaneously be absolutely horrified and not at all surprised.

6 Likes

Agreed. They still put her through additional hell with the legal maneuvering, though, when she was already suffering from a gunshot wound and the loss of her baby.
I remember the case at the time and news out of the area was of people thinking, kind of like, “well, we have to blame somebody for the lost pregnancy, and since it’s not the actual shooter,…”

9 Likes

i saw that and a nytimes article with that sort of headline. i struggle to believe it was real, and instead choose to believe it was about which people the reporter(s) were asking, how they framed the questions, and which answers they put in the stories

it’s exactly the sort of “clever” take that racks up the clicks. i just have to assume it’s dishonest for my own mental health

6 Likes

Whatever it takes to get you through! We all have our ways of coping with this effed up timeline, amiright?

Drunk That 70S Show GIF by PeacockTV

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.