Texas minister to deliver AI-generated sermon

Originally published at: Texas minister to deliver AI-generated sermon | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Unless it proves profitable.

12 Likes

The Electric Monk was a labour-saving device, like a dishwasher or a video recorder. Dishwashers washed tedious dishes for you, thus saving you the bother of washing them yourself, video recorders watched tedious television for you, thus saving you the bother of looking at it yourself; Electric Monks believed things for you, thus saving you what was becoming an increasingly onerous task, that of believing all the things the world expected you to believe.

18 Likes

3 Likes

whispering: “Honey, why does the minster’s mouth look smeary … and … does he have seven fingers on his left hand?”

7 Likes

if there have been any significant developments in Methodist Sermons since September 2021 it will not be aware of it

The Methodists did kick out the gay-hating churches from their conference since then. If the bot were aware of that context, it would probably write a better message.

6 Likes

As a Presbyterian minister I did a whole service, sermon included, including an original hymn that was all AI generated in February.

3 Likes

I feel like that’s the kind of thing that could definitely make money. Honestly it might even be fun. Gimmicky but depending on the kind of attention it gets I could see people here enjoying this in a non awful way… and I mean all sermons are some kind of prose poem I guess.

I dunno,sign of the times, but if this is what some of the churches around here are amusing themselves with I kinda like playful curiosity way more than some of the other energies churches give off.

7 Likes

How did they train the AI that generated the sermon? You’d get a much different sermon if they trained it on the Old Testament, the New Testament, the whole Bible, or the Republican Bible.

In that last case you’d get something Michael Bay would love, something a lot closer to the story of Christ: Origins than the original script for The Birth of Jesus. [Seriously, read that story if you haven’t already, and take it as a commentary on Hollywood not on religion.]

5 Likes

They’ll never buy it. It will probably have some nonsense about giving away your property to the poor or the camel-through-a-needle like chance of a rich man getting into heaven (oh, I could go on) and they’ll know its fake.

4 Likes

9 Likes

Media reports that Texas Methodist minister Jay Cooper of Violet Crown City Church will deliver an AI-written sermon this weekend.

How many verses before it all goes a bit - you know - Microsoft Tay? (The Southern Baptists would love that)

4 Likes

Maybe the Holy Spirit was an AI all along? The holy trinity finally makes sense!

2 Likes

Not AI, AC.

1 Like

My first thought was:

Will the AI sermon have more or less hallucinations than the Pastors? :thinking:

(Using the definition of confident statements not supported by the data)

2 Likes

++Insert Cheese Error++
++Redo From Start++

2 Likes

+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

1 Like

AI religion?

1 Like

Methodists!

2 Likes