Texas Republican says vaccines are "sorcery"

It’s not to say that people with AA/AS/AAS coursework are not smart or to malign them for not going further with formal learning. Nor should we suggest that MD’s are not smart or to malign them either, as our friend Mr. Strickland is doing. What is unsmart is to assume that your formal coursework in sales and marketing qualifies you to override long established and highly credible medical knowledge from from a medical doctor just because it doesn’t fit with your ideology.

2 Likes

Then don’t blame community college, blame the guy’s ideology, which has little to do with education in general (except in the case of ideologically driven private schools).

As I said, there are people with advanced degrees who do the same thing, people with expertise in one field, assuming that they are equipped to make pronouncements about other fields.

7 Likes

I prefer the contrapositive: any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

4 Likes

Leeches and blowfly larvae (maggots) are used in modern medical therapy.

2 Likes

Some people who are very smart choose to use that intelligence to come up with extremely clever justifications of dumb shit.

8 Likes

Putting science in the category of the supernatural seems like a dangerous rhetorical move to make. It would put science in the same category as religion. Or, it would be dangerous if people like this actually cared about such things.

“It is the chief characteristic of the religion of science that it works.” - Isaac Asimov, Foundation

“The priests of science can blatantly, publicly, verifiably walk on the Moon as a faith-based miracle, and your priests’ faith can’t do the same.” -Eliezer Yudkowsky

See also 1 Kings 18:20-40, from a time when priests and prophets were willing to subject their faith to controlled experiment and abide by the results.

5 Likes

His hands look really small.

I just googled this and got a real laugh out of it. In King James 18:27 is:

27 At noon Elijah began to taunt them. “Shout louder!” he said. “Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.”

The thing the story doesn’t record was that God told Elijah that Baal was on vacation in Barbados that week, and so there was no way he was going to set fire to some bull. Baal came back to the slaughtered priests and was really pissed because God had won their bet.

(I think I’d previously read the King James version which said the same thing but in more archaic language that didn’t strike me the same way. Well, and I haven’t heard any of these stories for thirty years)

9 Likes

Just so you all know, the antivaxxers are in full howl outside of Texas as well. Picturing the Braveheart “Freedom!!” thingy.

6 Likes

I’ve been thinking about how much fun it would be to ink up a load of red dots all over my body and show up to one of those rallies and start shaking hands.

10 Likes

I like the cut of your jib sir or madam.

7 Likes

Be sure to rig a blood squib squib in your mouth and give them a good tb hack

6 Likes

I wonder if Bigtree would volunteer to participate in a randomized clinical trial on the efficacy of parachutes?

5 Likes

I’m thinking we need improv everywhere come in with a whole host of people who get progressively sicker over the course of an hour.

5 Likes

“We can’t go too broad here folks! Let’s really Leper it up”

6 Likes

"I think you’ll find that your faith in science and tests
is just as blind as any fundamentalist’s

Wow,
that’s a good point,
let me think for a bit.

Oh wait, my mistake,
that’s absolute bullshit!

Science adjusts its views based on what’s observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
"

—Excerpted from Tim Minchin’s “Storm

7 Likes

The whole “isn’t science just another religion” thing is irritating. It’s used by people who don’t really understand the scientific critique of religion. To them it sounds like, “According to my set of beliefs you are wrong.” When really it’s a lot more like, “How about I build a bridge using engineering and you pray for God to deliver a bridge to you and we’ll see what happens.”

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.