Texas Republican says vaccines are "sorcery"

Well I think one aspect is that I think capitalism by its nature rewards this kind of fear of knowledge as if being as ignorant as possible or pretending to be doubtful as a sign of being insightful is a virtue. I fear this may become a mainstream view of everything that our society needs to function. I can’t imagine in fifty years when things such as nuclear fusion and nanofabrication become a thing (I think the latter has a better chance the former but that’s just me) that these folks will literally be worshiping machines the way people pray to the statues of Mary.

5 Likes

Definitely. This book still holds up:

In 50 years, we’ll be lucky to exist as a society capable of producing such things if “leaders” continue pandering to these Know-Nothings.

8 Likes

They made a good movie about it:

10 Likes

You know nothing, Jon Stickland!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Confirm that you actually cancelled. They are really good at not cancelling service until you confirm you want to cancel and they confirmed that you confirmed. Because they are protecting you from fraud.

7 Likes

Yes, I recall there was some back and forth in regard to me confirming I wanted to fully delete my account and all data.

But I agree, they still may have soft deleted me, because they have not demonstrated any reason to be trusted.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I immediately don’t trust anyone that wears an American flag pin on their suit.

Anyone who has to display that as a lawmaker to prove that they love America is just pathetic.

I trust this guy even less with a pin like that.

Where does the Republican Party find people like this? How exactly does one create this version of crazy?

8 Likes

And…you’re so not doin’ this rite.

@docosc: Et tu? Holy “woosh”!

6 Likes

I’m going to go with “Don’t take your medical advice from a guy who refers to vaccines as sorcery…”

For F’s sake, there’s not an acceptable response to stupidity of this level. Maybe an exasperated sigh as everyone around you contracts measles?

3 Likes

Yeah, ok, mea culpa.

4 Likes

Magical body parts? That’s wonderful… we’ll never run out of human albinos, so we’ve got an alternative after hunting the white rhino into extinction for its magic horns. Nature provides!

1 Like

I was going to say “Cupping therapy!” and put an old drawing of 18th century cupping here, but PEOPLE ARE DOING THIS NOW and the intertubes are full of disgusting pictures of it. So forget it.

3 Likes

If a group of sorcerers could cast a spell to get rid of a disease and had good data to validate their claims, shouldn’t we all be interested in this sorcery?

11 Likes

Was chatting with a lady and when she turned around she had a huge puffed up cupping bruise on the back of her neck.

I felt really bad for her. Tricked into modern bloodletting.

4 Likes

time to roll this one out again…

3 Likes

Can we convince him that using fire to cook food is also sorcery?

5 Likes

Those people have only themselves to blame. I mean seriously, raw marmot meat, in Mongolia of all places, where plague is endemic in the rodents? :nauseated_face:

I felt like the buried lede here is how much this is a “late-stage capitalism” story: this idiot’s entire position is centered on the presumption that monetary gain is the only moral good, the only justification for doing anything, and therefore the only reason he can conceive that anyone would propose a public health program.

11 Likes