Texas school bans sunscreen because a child might drink it

‘’***Put the fucking lotion in the basket!***’’

3 Likes

First let me say that this is a really stupid policy, we all know it’s a stupid policy, and it should be changed.

Now having said that, let’s be clear: the school didn’t just “ban sunscreen”. Like a lot of schools, they have a blanket policy that covers ALL medicines or things that look like medicines: you need a note from a doctor (or, sometimes, just a parent) to use them in school. The kids know that. If a kid wants to use sunscreen, or Advil, or pseudoephedrine, they absolutely can, they just need a note faxed from their doctor.

This is a surprisingly common “cover our asses” policy in schools to avoid teachers needing to decide what medicines kids are allowed to take. It shouldn’t be a teachers’ job to say “well, those pills in a prescription bottle are probably okay, but let me see if your name is on them…”. Instead, the school just makes kids show doctors’ notes for everything and covers their legal butts.

In fairness to the administration, they are correct in that the parents should have applied the sunscreen to their children prior to going to school that day knowing full well they would be outside and exposed for a long period of time. HOWEVER…the administration should also recognize that directions for sunscreen in fact state to REAPPLY frequently throughout a long day of sun exposure or if playing in and out of water, as the sunscreen wears off due to sweat and swimming.

This said…if the Zombiepocalypse happens, can Texas go first please?

All the texanist Texans are from new england.

1 Like

It’s really remarkable how much conviction that school official has in the video - she’s really convinced that sunscreen is a toxic substance and that she’s looking out for the safety of the children. I’m surprised she didn’t mention that kids can also use sunscreen to get high by putting it in a banana skin and smoking it.

Come on, guys. Where’s the obligatory “The stupid, it burns!”?

8 Likes

As a foreigner, I cherish these stories. If they are really indicative of a trend, my kid will have less competition on the global market.

2 Likes

Sunblock belongs in the same category as anything we might do to mitigate climate change: unnecessary because there’s no such thing as radiation, and why bother when the rapture is coming anyway?

1 Like

I dunno about ‘limited access to drugs’. Certainly not at my daughter’s high school. I urge all my friends with younger kids to move somewhere nice in the countryside, where there’s probably not someone in their high school class can hook them up with ketamine and mephedrone.

That’s no the real reason cars were banned from school grounds – kids gettin’ run over is just god’s pickin’ and choosin’. No, the real reason is that the texas sun is mighty strong and a kid may touch one of them black cars and get themselves a hoodburn.

This is San Antonio, which also doesn’t fluoridate its water.

It’s the opposite in the States: teenage drug use is higher in the suburbs and countryside than in the major cities. Plus, more need to use cars to get around in those areas. The consequences are as you might expect.

3 Likes

It’s good to see that the progressive people of Texas are standing up to the fear-mongering corporate profiteers who encourage innocent children to spend money to block the beneficial effects of natural sunshine with toxic chemicals and then sell them Vitamin D supplements to compensate for the loss of sun exposure.

1 Like

Totally off topic, but I just bought a two pack for my my kids (first time). Do you know how much they cost now? $500 for two! They were $25 each when I was in High School and College (80’s, 90’s). WTF, big pharma? First you put poison in our sunscreen, now this??!?

“Fight stupid with stupid!” - Texas

In elementary school, usually the epi-pens are kept in the classroom in the teacher’s desk or cabinet. They do try to keep them has accessible as possible, but kids can be stupid and our society is sue happy so the school has to protect its butt somehow. Which is exactly where the sunscreen thing comes in. BTW childcare centers are required to have signed permission slips for children for sunscreen. The department of public health treats it as a medicine and thus the form is required. Some centers get away with the craziness by buying one kind in bulk and having all parents sign for it. The school could do something similar on a class-by-class nature as a good compromise. But really, this is a great opportunity to teach kids about sun-protective clothing, b/c sunscreen really only goes so far and this day in age you need the clothing too.

Because when sunblock is outlawed, only outlaws will have sunblock.

1 Like

The only downside of being white; sunburn.

So the upshot is that because sunscreen is a dangerous poison it should be applied to children before they arrive at school.

Check your privilege?

3 Likes