Texas struck by meteor the size of a thousand-pound corgi

I’ve never seen one, but I imagine the volume and weight of water in them is seriously impressive. They’re 50 metres long though, So if you said 50 metres instead of a swimming pool I can easily visualise that. I guess I could try to imagine what a swimming pool looked like in that size but it’s a bit difficult as all I’ve ever seen are normal size pools and the space to hold an Olympic one must be cavernous.

There was a fairly long thread on the various dimensions of football (soccer) fields a while back. They can be seriously various in their size. I think they can’t regulate it too tightly as some famous old (i.e. belonging to seriously rich teams) grounds are in awkward spots that they can’t redevelop. Or at least they’d have to lose lots of lucrative seating to change to 100m by 70m or whatever and that’s not a runner. So it’s a useless measurement - they can be from 45 - 90M wide for example so you can’t use it as a measure.

4 Likes

Here it gets confusing, because whereas with the “ton” you have the metric tonne, the long ton and the short ton, all corgis are basically short, so it’s hard to tell the different units apart.

Also, attempts to create an International Standard Corgi that could be used as a reference did not go well. Scientists who isolated an appropriate corgi and attempted to store it in a sealed unit filled with inert gas quickly discovered that corgis do not thrive in an inert gas atmosphere. The standard corgi is now defined mathematically with reference to physical constants such as Planck’s constant, the speed of light, and an optimum nose-to-tail length defined by the prestigious Department of Corgoid Aesthetics at the University of Pembroke.

16 Likes

Ah, yes. 1.4 arpents.

6 Likes

Yes I know that. :roll_eyes:

The point is that it’s not a useful mind-picture tool for how big something is. I can’t picture “half a hectare” either, for fuck’s sake.

Krysten Ritter Eye Roll GIF

8 Likes
14 Likes

Use your harpoons and tow cables!

12 Likes

It’s about 1.25 US Standard Corgis in volume, though the mass stays amazingly constant.

9 Likes

20 Likes

Ooh ooh I know this one, pick me! Yes Miss, an Olympic swimming pool is 50 metres long. Or about 384.615 average bananas long. You’re welcome.

11 Likes

Bark 5, standing by!

8 Likes

F and sit back down. every one knows it’s 50m long but we want to know the volume, dammit. :wink:

1 Like

“Quite loud.”

4 Likes

cavendish or gros michel?

8 Likes

Cavendish. :banana:

7 Likes

I think it’s interesting that the length of such a pitch is specified in yards, but the width is specified in feet. The width measurement is not evenly divisible by 3.

6 Likes

It’s a bit smaller than a Canadian one. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Agreed on the Olympic-sized pools. Most folk have never been in one. Bad analogy.

“Football” fields, be they American football, CFL, futbol/soccer, Australian rules, maybe even obscure stuff like hurling, are all about the same size, ~100m, +/-10%. Since anyone attending high school must have seen the school’s playfield, likely marked for 100-yard. So I think they’re a pretty good analogy.

3 Likes

Reporter, “How large is the asteroid that it currently on a collision course with Uxminster?”

Scientist, “It is exactly the size of a football pitch that is 100m by 70m; or, approximately four 5-aside pitches”

8 Likes

chickenclouds2

21 Likes

Goldie Leader, “We’re in position. I’m going to cut across their axis and try to widdle on their control tower!”

The scientists’ banana of choice.

8 Likes