"Thank you very much for your support"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/25/thank-you-very-much-for-your.html

1 Like

A theme for these ads seemed to be the contrast between contemporary society & the characters.

4 Likes

David Rufkahr played Frank Bartles and Dick Maugg played Ed Jaymes. Prior to their work on the ads, neither Rufkahr nor Maugg had been an actor: Rufkahr, a career Air Force veteran and cattle rancher from Redmond, Oregon, won the job in a talent search, whereas Dick Maugg was a general contractor from Santa Rosa, California.

8 Likes
1 Like

The sickest human I ever observed was well into a couple dozen Bartles & James wine coolers, I’m pretty sure he never did that again, the area he nastied was declared a super fund site.

7 Likes

Pretty sure none of these “wine coolers” even contain wine. They’re malt-based so they can be classified as a beer for tax purposes.

Most states tax beer at a lower rate than wine.

2 Likes

My family still says “And we thank you for your support” on a semi-regular basis. None of us ever bought the product. Messaging>product.

3 Likes

I am pretty certain “wine” coolers only existed to get teenaged girls drunk. Too sweet, too fizzy, too yuck for anything else.

4 Likes

It actually did contain wine before 1991, the year where they raised the federal excise tax on wine from $0.17/gal to $1.07/gal.

3 Likes

And the wine they used before 1991 was horrible crap that even Gallow customers wouldn’t otherwise drink. The red wine version was particularly atrocious with overtones of rotting fruit and a metallic finish.

2 Likes

Nobody remembers what brand of Italian food used the tagline “Mama mia, that’s a spicy meatball!”–because it’s from a commercial for Alka-Seltzer.

4 Likes

Asti or Muscat or GTFO.

Oh lord do I hate red or rose.

1 Like

I bought a 4- or 6-pack of these things from our Class VI store back in '84. I was a young soldier used to eating anything from kimchi to currywurst. These horrible things gave me indigestion/acid reflux and I never touched them again. They tore me up as bad as some shitty, granular wine I should have left in the DDR.

3 Likes

Same here, the only time I drank the stuff was as a young soldier in Germany. And to make things worse, the guys I was with spiked it with vodka when I wasn’t looking, and I chugged it.

After that, I stuck to beer, or real wine.

2 Likes

I can’t think of this stuff without immediately remembering a late-80’s New Years party where I noticed my buddy’s girlfriend looked ill, and while I was looking at her, as if in slow motion, a long pink tongue of wine-cooler-vomit extended out her mouth and splashed onto the card table.

All these hard lemonades, hard iced teas, and hard seltzers are the new wine coolers.

3 Likes

Your prose is without equal, party on dude.

3 Likes

Isn’t this what is called a “Technicolor Yawn”?

2 Likes

What, no Niagara? Those wines have the aroma of Welch’s grape juice, and after tasting one, I had to pull my cheeks away from my teeth. :drooling_face:

1 Like

I’d never heard of it. I’ll investigate!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.