Thanksgiving Recipes 2022

16 Likes

spit take GIF

10 Likes

Anyone got a good pumpkin cheesecake recipe?

7 Likes

back when i was a teen, my mum and pop owned an ice cream shop in a touristy central texas town. this time of year, we got in pumpkin pie ice cream.
pops would take a graham cracker crust and pack it with pumpkin ice cream. pull it out of the freezer right after the dinner and plop some whipped cream on top.
beautifully simple and different take on the Tday staple.

12 Likes

OH, that sounds delicious!

I was looking around online, and found a couple of pumpkin bread recipes (which my husband suggested), and found a couple of likely candidates for a cheesecake (which I’ve never made any kind before)…

7 Likes

I have used the NYTimes one often and people like it.

5 Likes

I’ll look into their version! Thanks!

6 Likes

My Thanksgiving menu:

Squash soup from garden veggies.
Ham & cheese platter

Turkey
Ham
Corn
Green been casserole (garden veggies)
Roasted red potatoes (called screaming potatoes in my house)
Brussels sprouts (garden veggies)
Sweet potatoes

Homemade bread rolls
Pineapple no-bake cheesecake

Various homebrews

12 Likes

An interesting take on cannabis cuisine (beyond brownies):

5 Likes

Okay, here’s something that confuses me about a lot of American recipes: when you say “one pound of pork sausage” in the ingredients, do you mean actual sausage? As in tubular meat products, suitable for grilling or frying? Context of various recipes I’ve seen suggests it’s not whole or even sliced-up sausages, but what is it, then?

6 Likes

You can get get ground sausage, it’s the stuff you’d put into a casing, but not in the casing. Though some people will get sausage links, and just take it out of the casing, too.

9 Likes

What @Mindysan33 just said!

If you eat meat, you can usually find ground pork just like you find ground beef, and add your own spices, but it’s also possible (however, more expensive) to take already spiced sausages out of the casing if there is any (in the States, there often isn’t if you don’t buy from a butcher).

7 Likes

A place I often shop has a wide variety of choices for sausage… pork, they have a good ground turkey sausage I like to get sometimes… chicken… they have a halal sheep/goat counter, but I have not checked to see if they have ground sausage there…

8 Likes

If I can’t get to the local meat shop where they sell various blends of seasoned ground pork I just pick up something like this.

I like the breakfast blend but in the past I’ve got the Italian blend to mix with ground beef or ground turkey to treat myself to a nice meatloaf or meat balls.

7 Likes

This is how I shall refer to sausages hereafter.

12 Likes

Melissa Joan Hart Clarissa Darling GIF

12 Likes

Ah, that makes sense!

Interesting. Over here in Finland, we get ground beef, or a mix of ground beef and pork, and nowadays also ground chicken and (much more expensive) lamb, but I don’t think anybody is selling such stuff already salted, spiced and seasoned.

8 Likes

One of the varieties of breakfast sausage we have here (usually pork or turkey) comes in patties, like small-ish hamburgers, rather than it’s native tubular form. I think those patties originate from when people would buy the big tubes (~10 cm diameter) of uncased pork sausage like @tcg550 linked above, and slice the round straight into discs.

Night Mcdonalds GIF by McDonald’s All Day Breakfast

10 Likes

Which is how the vegetarian product I used to use (the recipe changed drastically a number of years ago, and not for the better) was packaged, just like the Jimmy Dean above:

8 Likes

So I figured out how to get the rotisserie over the fire pit and I was going to test it today with a chicken but here in Michigan it’s in the 20s with sustained 20 mph winds. I don’t mind cooking in the cold but I can do without the wind.

I went with the barbecue and chunks of apple wood. Can’t wait for Thursday, supposed to be in the upper 40s, perfect weather to babysit a turkey and a bonfire.

9 Likes