That douchebag pharma-bro hedge fund guy reversed the medicine price hike

The reason that there are “rights” to this drug that this guy was able to purchase and exploit -

and the reason that there’s no generic competitor -

and the reason that you can’t order a cheap version of it from a foreign pharmacy -

are all the same…United States law, and the FDA’s regulations.

He’s a bad man. But he’s not taking advantage of “unbridled capitalism.”

He’s exploiting the existing bridle. He’s using the government to enrich himself.

1 Like

Could somebody fill me in as to why, exactly, there’s no generic competitor available for this drug?

1 Like

Presumably because it wasn’t worth getting the hardware to produce it at the price it was being produced at. Raise the price to $750 and a generic competitor would make sense except that after you’ve spend millions of dollars getting set up they can realize the error in their ways, reduce the price to $1.50 a pill until you go out of business, and then suddenly decide $750 is a good price again.

At least that’s what I’d be thinking if I were contemplating getting into this. It’s possible that kind of behaviour is illegal, but good luck with that.

2 Likes

The approval for a generic drug under EU legislation can cost up to 1 million Euros for the needed bioequivalency trials and is a lenghty process (6 months to 2 years). I learnt here on BB that the FDA requirements are similar - so don’t hold your breath that we’ll see an alternative soon. [The numbers are out of my head, I read them a few days ago in a progenerika publication, a lobbyist of the generic drug industry. the ballpark seems about right, but I don’t find the link anymore]

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.