That shrimp you're eating may have been peeled and packed by slaves

Soviet Russia and China weren’t the “last” round of upheavals because there are still a lot going on. Also, to say that they were “worse” than fascism, which is a form of capitalism, is a bit reprehensible. The international fascist movement in the '30’s and '40’s not only killed millions, as we all know (and this is much better documented than the often inflated figures attributed to the famines in China and Russia), but arguably it started WWII, along with ascendant Japan, which of course led to an astronomical death count.

But like I said, a successful overthrow of capitalism as a global system, in the context of my first comment, is unlikely for the time being.

In any case, you’re obviously referring to old formations of Marxism-Leninism and Maoism, which are a) not the only types of anticapitalism (in fact their party leaders spent a lot of their time wiping out other anticapitalists who were against totalitarianism) and b) no longer relevant in most anticapitalist struggles that are gaining traction. The Communist Parties of the world are largely irrelevant historical societies dwarfed by their more forward-thinking anticapitalist opposition. Besides, the “anticapitalist” Communist Parties of Russia and China, the most prominent examples to which I assume you are referring, have long since shown their true colors by not only squashing revolutionary movements worldwide (and in their own countries of course), but just as significantly by transitioning to open capitalism. So…they shouldn’t be used as representative “anticapitalist” causes.

Some examples of different types of anticapitalists today include the widespread anticapitalist movements in Greece, the Zapatistas in southern Mexico, and Podemos in Spain, all of which have met with some modest successes.

There are also a number of Kurdish groups successfully fighting ISIS right now that are anticapitalist and not Marxist-Leninist, like the PYD/YPG. The PKK, loosely affiliated with them, also claims to be moving toward anarchism away from Marxism-Leninism. The Kurds are being attacked from all sides (and have been for thousands of years), right now mostly by Turkey and ISIS, and these’re some of the only groups in the area who are protecting the people. Capitalist militaries, on the other hand, created the whole mess in the first place.

Which of course leads us to the obvious: capitalist countries today are the worst (virtually the only) perpetrators of war and genocide, especially the good ol’ USA (which has killed over 6 million just in the last few decades). While I don’t see capitalism going anywhere until it creates a crisis that it can’t slip out of (probably an environmental one), it will hardly be the last economic system, and whatever comes next will by definition be anticapitalist.

To bring it back to topic, this will all have to be resolved before we can hope to eat ethical shrimp.

2 Likes