That shrimp you're eating may have been peeled and packed by slaves

I’ve read her, and it is not chock full of stratefies for people to be more socially responsible.

“My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.”

I don’t know about heroism, nobility, or absolutes - those always struck me as being corny fabrications. I think of humans as being colony organisms. Not unlike fractals, the boundaries of “selfhood” are more or less arbitrary. Confusion about the distinctions between self/other or self/society yield thousands of years of nominally “social” activity which is mostly dysfunctional.

People tend to be more accidentally social, than deliberately social. Also, these self/groups tend to be mostly solipsistic, mostly unconcerned with the world at large which comprises their superset.

4 Likes

This isn’t exactly related to the ethical issues mentioned, but it’s probably the only BB thread about shrimp for a while, so… can someone please tell me why chefs don’t take the tails off shrimp? It makes sense if they’re in a shrimp cocktail or something and you can use the tail as a handle, but why do they commonly leave them on even if it’s in a noodle or rice dish, and removing it requires digging around and getting sauce on your fingers? If I’m going to stop eating shrimp (which I’m actually fine with, come to think of it), I at least want that mystery answered.

2 Likes

Hmm, makes sense really. Darth Rand.

6 Likes

It is a weird, uh, tradition I guess? They certainly look good and it allows the producer go save a half a penny per shrimp. But yeah, it is annoying. Some cuisines serve them whole and that makes more sense–the shell has flavor. But leaving the tales on is almost 100% aesthetics.

1 Like

A.) People who read the article and thought to themselves: “I should eat less shrimp.”

B.) People who skimmed over the picture and thought to themselves: “Yum, I haven’t had shrimp in a while.”

Which is greater?

8 Likes

Well, who’s going to maintain the meat tanks? Sure, it will be well paid 1st world workers at first but, if nothing else changes, a few years down the line it will be 3rd world slaves in a meat tank sweatshop.

2 Likes

Oh please Comrade, the last round of anticapitalist upheavals resulted in greater brutality and environmental devastation than even capitalism could manage. Capitalism is the worst possible system, except for every other system we have tried.

Shrimp stock has been on the rise for years, and it pays great dividends!

4 Likes

If only there was a way to have your shrimp and eat it too (without guilt)…

http://www.popsci.com/shrimp-farm-indiana-future-seafood-production

After reading this article…I feel kind of sad this never made it onto Parks & Recreation.

2 Likes

Shrimp are gross to me, so no guilt (on this) for me.

2 Likes

Same.

I’m enjoying basking in the relative lack of cruelty only eating terrestrial animals affords.

Although the rates of depression and suicide in slaughterhouse workers are appalling.

1 Like

Robots. Most of the maintenance jobs, on properly designed equipment, can be automated.

…thought… in-situ 3d-printable system, made of many smaller modules/tanks/reactors. When something dies, only one module gets out of commission, and then it can be repaired or even removed (and materials cleaned and reground to new printing feedstock) and printed in-situ again. Same goes for the main facility structure, and even the printers themselves. Human intervention then can be kept at bare minimum.

And woo, don’t forget the woo …

1 Like

Ultimate structural 3D printer: Genetically engineered snails that grow to be the size of buildings. Then kill them off by adding a genetically engineered pathalogical-to-the-snails fungus that will turn all the non-shell biomass into spores that blow away in the wind.

1 Like

I like that.

But for more controllability, what about smaller organisms forming colonies? E.g. like the corals?

2 Likes

We’re having trouble getting coral to grow under water in their natural habitats. What makes you think it’d be any easier on land?

Fine then. Programmable African Termites. They’ll build whatever you want. Out of wood and spit.

Genemod something that grows better on land to behave like a coral colony and build structures. Control growth directins using light or electric fields.

Now we are talking! :smiley:

…what about modding them to use sand and hardened biocarbonate?

1 Like

Hard to say.

People generally don’t admit to thinking shellfishly.

8 Likes